re-developed F-86 Saber

Started by Jesse220, April 01, 2016, 06:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse220

Ok I'm now thinking that they re-developed the J-7 fighter (which was modeled after the Mig-21), but what if we re-developed the F-86 saber and other Saber variants?

kerick

Two engines outside the fuselage like the Skyfox! More modern and fuel efficient and leave lots of room in the fuselage for fuel and radar.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Jesse220

Quote from: Flyer on April 01, 2016, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: kerick on April 01, 2016, 07:23:34 PM
Two engines outside the fuselage like the Skyfox! More modern and fuel efficient and leave lots of room in the fuselage for fuel and radar.

So a skinny single seat Sabreliner? ;D

No I'm Thinking like a new Multi role Fighter.

kerick

Quote from: Jesse220 on April 02, 2016, 01:57:02 PM
Quote from: Flyer on April 01, 2016, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: kerick on April 01, 2016, 07:23:34 PM

So a skinny single seat Sabreliner? ;D

No I'm Thinking like a new Multi role Fighter.

Right, with a new nose to replace the intake and to hold radar.
This is the conversion of the T-33 to the Skyfox. Imagine the F-86 instead.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Neat idea. I have never heard of the Skyfox. Great stuff !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Skyfox was a great idea (IMHO) that never quite caught on. The idea was to upgrade existing T-33s for countries that didn't have a ton of money to spend on brand new aircraft. I plan on building one if I can get the right engines and a good T-33 kit together in the same place at the same time.

I figure doing something like this to an F-86 would not be too difficult. I was thinking of a pair of J-85 engines would fit within the time frame of F-86 usage.
Tophe the Wise

Jesse220

Those Ideas could work. Maybe if we replace the Skyfox's engines and add some intakes also with a single jet engine, It would be a reborn Saber.

kerick

Lots of possibilities. This was just one I've mentally tossed around for some time now.
Tophe the Wise

Jesse220

I think the newly built sabers could be based off of the JC-17 Thunder

FAR148

How about a lightning style Saber?

Steven L   :party:

Jesse220

Quote from: FAR148 on April 04, 2016, 02:11:34 PM
How about a lightning style Saber?

Steven L   :party:

I guess that would work, but I still think the re-modeled Saber could be based off of the JF-17 Thunder. No offense

scooter

How 'bout something like this?

Under belly intake, 2d thrust vectoring

Dual flank intakes, F110 in back
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Jesse220

Quote from: scooter on April 04, 2016, 03:25:34 PM
How 'bout something like this?

Under belly intake, 2d thrust vectoring

Dual flank intakes, F110 in back

Sounds like a good idea :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

The twin-engine example is a nice, subtle whif ! The other one look like a space Sabre, or a shuttle.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on April 03, 2016, 08:15:58 AM
Skyfox was a great idea (IMHO) that never quite caught on. The idea was to upgrade existing T-33s for countries that didn't have a ton of money to spend on brand new aircraft. I plan on building one if I can get the right engines and a good T-33 kit together in the same place at the same time.

I figure doing something like this to an F-86 would not be too difficult. I was thinking of a pair of J-85 engines would fit within the time frame of F-86 usage.

The back end of a Matchbox G-91Y is separate and about the right shape, and it has two J-85s of course.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones