Author Topic: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)  (Read 154996 times)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)
« Reply #3030 on: Yesterday at 05:05:02 am »
Interestingly that 111 is an FB-111 so it has the longer wings and the early Triple Plow 1 intakes, so you'll need to convert it first as your kit looks like a 111E. The FB-111s had three wing pylons to carry the BIG tanks they used, but as you say the one in the pic shows no sign of them.

In the pic the bomb bay doors are open too, I wonder why?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3031 on: Yesterday at 06:49:28 am »
Thanks!! You save me a world of pain. I've looked further into this and I'll need to make a TON of modifications to this kit. Not happening! I'm seeking a simpler build here...    ;D    This is going back on the shelf. I still want to build an F-111 perhaps? Maybe make a whif and not worry about modifying ANYTHING.  :wacko:  Maybe not onto the shelf but I need to come up with a new plan.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3032 on: Today at 02:44:49 am »
BLURGH..  Back to "summer schedule" for me which means getting up at 3 AM and such. So, early morning updates are back while I wait for all my medicine taking and coffee drinking to elapse. (this never happens any quicker than 1.5 hour and usually a solid two...so, if I want to leave at 5AM I have to be up at 3.  :rolleyes:  Beats frying alive in the heat, though... )  SO.... 

Tristar....  time for Tamiya putty. Also time for nose weight. I'll do the putty first so it can be drying up while I do the other. Every little bit of short-cut helps. Trying to up my build speed on these Airliners. Since I'm slowly learning all the secrets of the trade I can more safely pick up speed. So far, so good.......  In fact, I'm moving quick enough that I may reach the point where I need to stop and wait on the transfers as a part of the masking and painting has to come after they're on. Still, I can get quite a bit done and there's a lot of work between now and then but the site says they might have to make them first so could be a couple months after order date before I get them so I'll still be wanting to order them as soon as I can.

Need to come up with a final decision on the F-111. I am NOT doing the plethora of mods necessary to make an FB-111A out of this old airfix kit. Damn near everything needs some sort of modification according to just preliminary reading and no telling what other finer details and aspect exist. Trying to get out of complicated builds right now (probably should have steered clear of this kit then... ). I'm going to take a dive through the transfers stash and see if I can find something African or South American. Might cancel this thing all together though if I can't find something that sparks interest. 

737 is still on hold while I find myself a battery operated rotary tool.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3033 on: Today at 05:11:22 am »

Need to come up with a final decision on the F-111. I am NOT doing the plethora of mods necessary to make an FB-111A out of this old airfix kit. Damn near everything needs some sort of modification according to just preliminary reading and no telling what other finer details and aspect exist. Trying to get out of complicated builds right now (probably should have steered clear of this kit then... ). I'm going to take a dive through the transfers stash and see if I can find something African or South American. Might cancel this thing all together though if I can't find something that sparks interest. 

Oh hell, I'd forgotten the MPC kit was originally Airfix!  :banghead:

I did the review of that kit for Scale Models Magazine back in '72 I think, and started off by saying the first thing you had to do was convert it into an F-111E!  ;) ;D

Ron Moulton said I'd have to re-write it, so I did, a bit, but it still needs a lot of work. The intakes aren't correct for ANY F-111 variant, which doesn't help. It's a 'Whiff-in-a-box' really, just as it is.

Regards
Kit

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3034 on: Today at 11:56:19 am »
Brilliant. I'll just leave this sucker for that purpose then. Perfect for a what-if! I guess Hasegawa is the way to go with Aardvarks? I have one of those but it's going to be built as the box shows. I think my EF-111 Spark-vark is Revell? 

I did the review of that kit for Scale Models Magazine back in '72 I think, and started off by saying the first thing you had to do was convert it into an F-111E!  ;) ;D
  :wacko: ;D ;D ;D       You weren't a-bullshittin' with that one. That's funny. I love it.  :wacko:

MPC...   I've gotten to the point where in my mind, any time I see "MPC" my brain subconsciously replaces it with "Airfix." I don't know when this started but I didn't even notice I was doing it until just recently.

-Sprues McDuck-

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3035 on: Today at 01:37:44 pm »
I've got a Sparkvark too, but I think it's ESCI, or it was at one stage anyway.

Regards
Kit

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3036 on: Today at 03:24:37 pm »
OK........  South African??  I have some roundels and fin flash from an AT-6 Micro Scale sheet. Two color green/tan camo over pale grey......    :unsure:  Not sure how plausible it is but it's not TOO wacky of an idea (I damn near went with Nicaragua  ;D ). Would be nice to put them funky little roundels on something and I THINK this would be my first African build of any type... oh... wait... no, I did that Somali F-22 Raptor.. ....    *snicker* 

As an alternate, I have the Italeri Mig-29 on deck with Microscale transfers for the last East German MiG 29 flight.

-Sprues McDuck-