Caught at the Reno pylon racers.........

Started by Glenn, October 04, 2004, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Flown and owned by some mob from New Zealand, this I-16 replica blitzed the field, that weekend! Clocking an average speed of 270 mph, it ran rings around the T-6's and T-28's!

Model :   Revell/Matchbox I-16 'Rata' 1/72 sc.
Pylon  : balsa and thin card.

Modifications : Brass rod holding aircraft removed, blured out prop, and modified pylon shadow

Ollie

Cool!

But it would never race against T-6s and T-28s, since it's not a trainer!

It would go against the big heavy iron stuff or in the other sports category!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Tophe

QuoteI-16 replica
Looking like Gee-Bee replica, but far more original...  :wub:  Nice. Congratulations, Glennlyn. :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Glenn

Actually I did two shots of the 'start-up', this one and one with a yellow pick-up truck. The starter truck, is an x-Hasagawa model made in China. What I thought remarkable was that both models kissed exactly. I almost thought one model had been designed for the other!
The Down-Side!
   This Chinese built model was the worst kit I have ever had to put together. Thank heavens I didn't have to use the instructions, the photos are too grainy, and with the Chinese version of English, and the Olympics  only 4 years away, I hope their signs improve!
     Glenn

Captain Canada

Looking goo, Lyn !

Love the starter truck as well, great job !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Swamphen

Tophe

QuoteLooking goo, Lyn !
(from a student in English speaking): do you mean good with some mistyping? I would agree... If that is slang for goose-flesh or something, I would like to know the meaning before agreeing... not to insult our dear old friend Glenn/Lyn.

By the way, Lyn, on your first in-flight picture, it is rather suprising to see a pylon racer with an open canopy. Rather windy for the pilot, no? Maybe the last winning this way was the great Supermarine S.6B...

Glenn

Tophe,
  I have an idea for an S6B, turning it into a land fighter...............na, that would look silly!
Pylon racing, how far does it go back? Some silly buggers in the '20's may have done it in open cockpits, just don't know!
Lyn

NARSES2

QuoteTophe,
  I have an idea for an S6B, turning it into a land fighter...............na, that would look silly!
Pylon racing, how far does it go back? Some silly buggers in the '20's may have done it in open cockpits, just don't know!
Lyn
Wasn't the Schneider Trophy flown around Pylons - not as tight a circut I know - and that started in the 20's

As for modern pylon racing Channel 5 here in the UK had some on sunday morning I was channel hopping having breakfast - first time I've ever really watched it - scary !!!
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quotean S6B, turning it into a land fighter
Dear Lyn,
My personal suggestion would be : a S.6B land racer - you know that I don't like weapons, personnally. But I am not like our President Chirac here a friend of Saddam, I swear. Though after seeing the film Farenheit 9/11, I feel uncomfortable. I pity the soldiers and victims of each side that died for money of a few ones, it seems... Racing is more fun, according to me.  

elmayerle

Trophe,

I wouldn't put too much dredence in Farenheit 9/11.  Going by his previous films, when the facts are carefully checked, Mr.Moore is often found to have taken some extreme liberties with the historical record.  I'd consider it strictly as entertainment, not as a presentation of truth.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Martin H

QuoteI have an idea for an S6B, turning it into a land fighter...............na, that would look silly!
Wanna bet ?

This one was built by a friend in the ATC (I now baby sit it). The real S6B is mine (just there to show the differnce.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mairfrog

That's pretty cool, Martin.
Presumably the fuel is in the tyres?  :P