Airbus A380

Started by nev, October 04, 2004, 11:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

So I got round to starting this beauty/beast at the weekend.

First piccie is for comparison.  left to right we have an A310, A380, A330.  Look how the wide bodied, long range A310 has a wingspan equal to one A380 wing  :o  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

The completed model has (according Revell) a length of 50cm and a wingspan of 55cm  :o

To put this into perspective, in 1/72 this kit would be 1m long and 1.1m wide!!!!!  :o  :o  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

Spent this afternoon on the sofa watching taped episodes of Law & Order with Mrs Nev and working on the undercarriage.  Done 3 of the 5, yes thats right, 5 (five) of the undercarriage legs & their bays.  A bit worried about the nose gear though as it seems a bit flimsy.......

Just had time to give them a quick spray with the last dregs of my can of Halfords primer before it got dark

John Howling Mouse

ahhhh....so, what's YOUR version/scheme going to be?

And...how do you get all that cat hair off the assembled model once you're ready to paint???

^_^  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Well, I hope to be picking up the Brasil Decals A380 sheet this weekend which has decals for Singapore Airlines & Qatar Airways on.  I've already decided I want to do both, its just a question of which I do first....probly the Qatar one.

Davey B

AC-380! AC-380! :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  

Captain Canada

R-A-F !

R-A-F !

R-A-F !

Come on, say it with me, Nev !

You're not going all civil on us now, are you ?

;)

btw....that thing is huge ! How about a 'flying' diorama, refueling a Bombcorde up in Jrs. room ?

B)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

QuoteAC-380! AC-380! :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
Well I don't think the low wing is conducive to the idea of a gunship platform, unlike say.....an AC-17  :wub:

However, I do think with all those cabin windows that Rad could make an excelent pirate ship out of an A380  :ar:  

Gary

I saw pics of the wingroot structure of this beast in the assembly plant. You could drive a car through the leading edge of this thing, if it were hollow. And the joint to the fuselage is wickedly complicated looking. I wouldn't want to be the guys sorting out how to build that thing.  
Getting back into modeling

Gary

You can almost see the Starblazers style super laser barrel poking out above the cockpit. Maybe a particle beam.  
Getting back into modeling

elmayerle

QuoteYou can almost see the Starblazers style super laser barrel poking out above the cockpit. Maybe a particle beam.
Better field of view/fire if you put it in the nose like on the AL-1.  Mind you, the other way looks "sexier", but the nose installation would. IMHO, be more effective.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Martin H

That A380 is screaming for a big Orange tail, and a dirty great phone number or Web address on the fuss  :P   Stelios at Easy Jet would love it  :D  
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Davey B

Vertical-firing guns! Problem sorted!

easyJet AC-380!  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  

Radish

I reckon you should paint the cat.

It already looks good in all over black (??), but spray some tiger stripes and the neighbourhood pussies would really take note!

Or, perhaps add some "extra-long teeth" for that "Sabre-Toothed" look that's all the rage. The other pussies will think it's a vampire!

Or, use the cat to paint the models.

As for the Airbusses.....

Wolverhampton Trolley busses had a nice livery.
I discussed "briefly" this with Mike Wren in Ian Allan at B'ham on Saturday afternoon, as I suggested the livery would look great on some of the 1/144th armour he was displaying. It looked VERY good.

Why not some South American AF, in full camo??

Israeli "ELINT" aircraft, with lots of aerials??

RAF bomber command, WW2 livery??

:party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Swamphen

QuoteVertical-firing guns! Problem sorted!

easyJet AC-380!  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:
kizuM egarhcs ?

(hint: read it backwards)

:P  :dum: