F-22 alternative color scheme

Started by Hobbes, September 28, 2004, 10:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

It's 2013 and the first F-22s, over time and over budget as usual, are finally being delivered to active squadrons. In a repeat of the maneuvers that gave us black F-117s, people high up in the chain of command have ordered the F-22s to be painted black rather than the low-visibility gray scheme used on the prototypes, so people will associate them with the highly successful F-117 program. The aircraft don't prove too popular with pilots, as their flight control computers crash regularly (as a cost cutting measure they're running Windows 2000), and because the F-22's weapons load is rather less than intended. With only two AMRAAM on board, pilots find themselves outnumbered and outgunned by Flankers (carrying 12 AAM each) during the 2014 invasion of Iran.

(Revell 1:144 kit)

nev

Nice idea, and I love the Windows 2000 thing  :lol:

Is it me, or are those fins huge btw?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Hobbes

Well, from this angle the perspective makes them look even bigger. I'll try to post some more/better pictures this weekend.

The 'idea' is a bit of revisionist history, BTW. I painted the thing black because that's what I had lying around at the time. I bought several 1:144 kits plus a number of spray cans to practice spraying (before ruining a bigger, more expensive kit). Of course, I got carried away, and now I have 15 1:144 kits, I'm spending more and more time on them, and I bought an airbrush...  

Ollie

Cool Hobbes!

Is this a YF-22 kit?  The fins were reduced in size for the F-22...

;)  

Hobbes

Ollie

Hence the hugeness of the fins!

:D  

elmayerle

Shouldn't that be "Windows ME"?  I've found Windows 2000 Pro to be quite stable.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Supertom

I concur with Evan.  Win2000 was one of the most stable Windows operating systems I've ever used.  WinME, however....
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

NARSES2

Didn't realise she was 1/144, great effort - you and Nick are the micro-surgeons of WIF.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

QuoteI concur with Evan.  Win2000 was one of the most stable Windows operating systems I've ever used.  WinME, however....
For a desktop, Windows 2000 is fine (mostly). For a system that has lives depending on it, I'd want an OS that never, ever crashes. Windows is monolithic, with way too many features that you don't need in a combat system, but that can't be removed. And, you need a real-time OS, where you can guarantee a response time. In Windows, you can't do that.  

Hobbes

QuoteDidn't realise she was 1/144, great effort - you and Nick are the micro-surgeons of WIF.
Thanks. This one wasn't too bad, some of the other 1:144 planes have me going  :wacko: because they contain details that are smaller than the resolution of my hands...

elmayerle

QuoteI concur with Evan.  Win2000 was one of the most stable Windows operating systems I've ever used.  WinME, however....
For a desktop, Windows 2000 is fine (mostly). For a system that has lives depending on it, I'd want an OS that never, ever crashes. Windows is monolithic, with way too many features that you don't need in a combat system, but that can't be removed. And, you need a real-time OS, where you can guarantee a response time. In Windows, you can't do that.
*Chuckle* Believe me, both the F/A-22 and the F-35 will have this.  That's one thing slowing down the F/A-22, getting the software right.  They've pretty much got it done, but still have some corners to smooth.  The F-35 is going to build on that and tech that's already been demonstrated and evaluated in the J/IST testbeds and the X-35.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Nick

QuoteDidn't realise she was 1/144, great effort - you and Nick are the micro-surgeons of WIF.
The F-22 in 1/144 is as big as a 1/72 Spitfire or Me109, I'm sure each of us has built something of that size! :)

Nice looking Raptor (or whatever the name is this month), now I've got to think of a different colour scheme for my F-22, that's when I find the canopy cos it's disappeared..... <_<

Nick B)  

Captain Canada

Looking good, Hobbes !

And those fins are monstrous........ :wacko:

But I think the attack on Iran will come alot sooner......lets say, in Oct., if bush's numbers don't take off !

That'll be his 'big surprise', attacking another soverign nation for political gain.

Oops........getting political again !

It won't be an 'Invasion', tho.....too many recruits caught up in Afghanistan and Iraq already. Just a few bombs here and there, maybe Isreal will do the dirty work for them.

:ph34r:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

QuoteI concur with Evan.  Win2000 was one of the most stable Windows operating systems I've ever used.  WinME, however....
Oh you mean something like OS/400 then. This one has a 99.5% PROVEN reliability against crashes.....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die