My family Spitfire

Started by nev, September 15, 2004, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

This Spitfire was made by my Grandad, George Sydney Thomas Dunn, during WW2 from brass shell casings.  Having joined the RAF he spent virtually the whole war as an engine mechanic on Spirfires.  He served in the Battle of Britain, and I remember him telling me as a boy how they used to burn their fingers working on the red-hot Merlins between sorties.  

After the BoB he was sent to N Africa (where he made the Spitfire) and he spent most of the rest of the war following the 8th Army round Africa, Italy & France.  He ended the war in Germany on Meteors, and it was obvious that as an engine mechanic he was clearly proud of the fact that he was chosen to go to one of the first jet engined squadrons in the Air Force.  After the war he worked on Meteors, Javelins, Hunters & Canberras, leaving the RAF in 1970 after 35 years service.  He died in 1991 after a 5 year struggle with alzheimers, a sad end for a man who served his country so well  :(

When he died, the brass Spitfire was the one item that myself, my dad and my uncle wanted to make sure was safe.  Sadly my alcoholic auntie managed to take it back to Wales with her before we realised and we feared it was lost forever  :(  When she died earlier this year my dad was able to liberate the Spitfire and bring it back to a family who would care for it like the treasured family heirloom it it.  To give you an idea of why we feared for it in my aunties possession, her husband (also an alcoholic) did not realise she was dead for three days.  The Spitfire now resides in pride of place in my dads living room.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Marvellous.
In one such object there are so many memories.
Our house (everyone's probably) amongst the usual stuff there's occasional objects that might look out of place, but they're things that hold a special memory or memories.
:P  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Ollie

Incredible Nev!

Touching story!

Thanks for sharing!

:wub:  -_-  

WeeJimmy

retro_seventies

marvellous stuff nev - in another 60 years the story will mean just as much when your grandchildren tell it! :)
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Allan

Hi Nev,
Wonderful story.

Never let the model leave your hands again.

Allan in Canberra

Leigh

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and thanks to your Grandad, my Grandad and all those who fight to preserve liberty.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

NARSES2

Stunning piece of work by your grandad Nev, glad it's back in a good home

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Supertom

Beautiful piece of work there Nev.  Just out of curiousity did he ever tell you how me made it?  It seems to me that he melted down some casings to form it but then again those are some complex shapes!

Care to take a few more pictures?
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Ollie

With dollies and hammers Tom.

You can blend metal by hitting two pieces together.  Basic metal working knowledge.

Gary

There is a story that both speaks of pride, devotion and love of country, talent, loss, compounded loss, and rebirth of the spirit that created this wonderful treasure.

Take some time and put this whole story down in detail Nev, and send it to a Vets magazine. It's the kind of thing we need to remember, our heritage, and just how fragile these memories, these rememberances can really be.

Thank you, sincerely
Getting back into modeling

nev

Tom, here ya go, I'll post some more when I get the rest of my pictures re-sized.

As for how he did it.....dunno, apart from the melted shell casings bit.

IMWFO, any suggestions on places to send it to?  I do intend submitting it as an article to ARC for certain.

And if anyone so much as breathes about an "innacurate nose shape" I'll get Evan to arrange an F-35 Baxter to drop a JDAM down their chimney!  :ph34r:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

nev

I've posted this before, but it was a while back so I figured I may as well post it again.  Photo taken in the 60s @ RAF Binbrook, 85 Squadron Canberras (also my dads first posting).  Chief Technician Dunn is front row, 3rd from the left.

Scooterman

Truely at a loss of words (almost).  That is just beautiful, Nev.  Made all the richer by the story (minus the drunks part! :P )