Bad day for a Bf 109H

Started by matrixone, September 11, 2004, 12:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

While attacking B-29s over Germany in 1944 a Bf 109H was hit by return fire from one of the B-29 gunners and was forced to break off combat and return to base, before the pilot could reach his home base the engine began to overheat and caught fire forcing the pilot to land at the nearest auxiliary airfield. The pilot was unharmed but the Bf 109H was a total loss from fire damage.

Matrixone  

Joe C-P

Amazing work and photography, as always.  :cheers:

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

matrixone

Thanks JoeP!

I never intended to do a damaged aircraft pic, as I was setting things up to take some pics of my models I broke the left main gear of my MPM Bf 109H and decided to take a picture of it anyway.
Later that same day I was looking at the pictures and decided to try and add some digital fire and smoke to one of the pictures of the Bf 109H.
It turned out OK but I now realize I should have added some shadow from the smoke to the ground.

There are three older unbuilt kits that I have plans to build as battle damaged aircraft that made wheels up landings, these will look far better with the digital fire and smoke added than my Bf 109H pic.

A couple more pics from last Sunday,

Matrixone  

nev

Score one for the good guys!  :P

Amazing work, as ever.  Really like the 262 in the foreground of the 1st shot.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

matrixone

Thanks nev!

That Me 262 is from the old tool Revell kit with MM paint and AM decals.

Matrixone  

Alvis 3.1

I've got to say, the addition of the hairs on the prints is inspired!
I also like the goofers looking at the 109 burn..typical isn't it? Always 4 guys who stand and watch!

Alvis 3.1

John Howling Mouse

I really like the layout of the entire composition.

Truly, you're creating a whole new artform with the combination of 3-D diorama and digital effects.

Would the prop's blade-tips on the fallen aircraft be bent from the loss of the one maingear or do they not reach the ground that way?  I always consider that a nice touch, like in Shep Paine's early dioramas.

Wow.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Sweet !

Awesome job on both models and photography, my friend !

Keep 'em coming !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

matrixone

Thank you very much for the kind words Alvis, JHM, and Captain Canada!

John,
Yes the tips of the propeller should have been bent in such a landing as well as the canopy should have been opened.

I am building a Fw 190 now that is being built as an aircraft that has made a wheels up landing and will try more digital fire pics with that model, I expect those pics will be better if I can remember to add the shadow of the smoke to the ground.

All work on the photobase has stopped for a few months until I get more airplanes to photograph, here is a couple pics of my new models I have been working on.

The Do 335 is from the Monogram 1/48 scale kit, the Fw 190 D is made from the ProModeler D-11 kit.

Matrixone