XV-1...er...progress

Started by Mike Wren, September 03, 2004, 03:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

here's the limited progress on my 1/72 XV-1, the main airframe is complete, although all the interior details still need painting  :huh:  and then onto the vac form canopy   :wacko:

Tophe

Lovely twin-boomer :wub:  This may be great when finished... Thanks.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

John Howling Mouse

Definitely one of the more creative ideas I've seen actually getting BUILT lately.

Good for you!

;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

looking good so far mike  :)

And good look with the glazing!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

Looks very good Mike. It's gonna be a bit drafty for the pilots though, still nice panoramic view
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Tophe

In my twin-boom database, I read that the US code of this Mc Donnell/Doblhoff Model 82 was first XL-25, then XH-35 Convertiplane, then XV-1. Yes, difficult to classify and the end is "a class of its own"...
Question for Evan our dear engineer: as Mike's pictures show clearly that the rotor is powered by itself, not driven by the axis, there should be no torque, so why are there little propellers aft of the booms - no need of anti-torque systems I think. There were tiny engines in the fins to drive them, and maybe it was just for control, proper handling in vertical flight, could you confirm? Appreciating a nice plastic model is part of the way, but understanding the details add much satisfaction, according to me. :)  

elmayerle

QuoteIn my twin-boom database, I read that the US code of this Mc Donnell/Doblhoff Model 82 was first XL-25, then XH-35 Convertiplane, then XV-1. Yes, difficult to classify and the end is "a class of its own"...
Question for Evan our dear engineer: as Mike's pictures show clearly that the rotor is powered by itself, not driven by the axis, there should be no torque, so why are there little propellers aft of the booms - no need of anti-torque systems I think. There were tiny engines in the fins to drive them, and maybe it was just for control, proper handling in vertical flight, could you confirm? Appreciating a nice plastic model is part of the way, but understanding the details add much satisfaction, according to me. :)
I would surmise for low-speed handling/vertical manuevering handling purposes; much like the thrusters on the ends of the small booms mounting the Yak-141's horizontal tails.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

Quotelow-speed handling/vertical manuevering handling purposes; much like the thrusters on the ends of the small booms mounting the Yak-141's horizontal tails.
Thanks a lot, dear... :)  I feel more clever understanding a little now...