My current project(s)

Started by matrixone, September 02, 2004, 08:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

A couple of in-progress pics of my latest models.

The Fw 190 D is from the ProModeler Fw 190 D-11 kit and is being built as a machine that was captured by Russian forces in the spring of 1945, it is a rare D-11 or D-13 that had the large Ta 152 style tail fitted to it and may have served with a ground attack unit at the end of the war.
I have two photos of this aircraft that are in a Russian book and in one of the photos racks for Panzer Blitz 1 are seen mounted under the wings as well as a yellow band painted on the engine cowling.

My other model I am building is the very old (but still good) Monogram Do 335 which I am building as a nightfighter and will have ''what if'' markings, tomorrow the model will get the last of its camouflage painted on, a ''scribble'' of RLM 81 and RLM 82 will be sprayed on.

Matrixone

Aircav

OK, never mind all this about the models (thinks I wish I could build and paint as good as that.............Goes and looks for a VERY large bottle of Southern Comfort.....)
WHAT'S THE LARGE SPINNER OFF !!

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P
Steve, the green one
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

F-32

SWEET!................................really wish I could paint like that..........I have trouble with painting by numbers! ^_^

JoeP

I wish I could get my airbrush to work consistently. Those are a great example of the art and science of airbrushing. Fine work!  :cheers:

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

0MEGA13

QuoteI wish I could get my airbrush to work consistently. Those are a great example of the art and science of airbrushing. Fine work!  :cheers:

JoeP
my sentiments exactly. i wish i could paint as well as that

matrixone

Thanks Steve, F-32, and JoeP!

My airbrush is a Badger 150 and I use the fine head and needle assembly, when I paint fine detailed camouflage patterns I use low air pressure and thin my paint more than usual, I hold the airbrush about an inch and a half away from the surface being painted. By doing this I avoid a lot of unwanted overspray.
The Do 335 was painted freehanded, the only masking used is to cover the cockpits until the camouflage painting is finished.

Steve,
The large spinner is from one of my RC aircraft, a 1/6th scale Focke Wulf 190 D-9.

In a week or two I will post some pics of the finished models.

Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks OMEGA13!

Painting these Luftwaffe planes is a lot of fun, but it takes some practice and good equipment. Paint is also very important, I use Model Master II paints (enamels) with good results but the real important part is getting the right amount of thinner added to your paint before spraying.

Matrixone  

Aircav

Still the Green one
;)  :P  :P  :P  :P  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

lancer

Incredible stuff as usual Matrix. Yet again, you surpass yourself. Like the others say, I wish I could airbrush like that.
Hmmm. I've still got my brothere Badger 150, along with the rest of his kit stored close to hand. I might fich it out and have a bash.
Can anyone send me a scan of the tech manual to read ?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

John Howling Mouse

The fonts on this system do not go big enough:

WOW![/size]

Incredible work.
Can't wait to see it finished, even without the backdrop that
will likely also be overwhelming.

:wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Swamphen

matrixone

Thank you lancer, John, and Swamphen!

About half an hour ago I finished painting the RLM 81 and RLM 82 colors on the Do 335, it now hardly resembles the model in my pics.

These two models should be done in a couple weeks and I will post some new pics then.

Matrixone

nev

Wow, incredible work, as ever  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

As before I bow before your skills

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks nev and Chris!

The Fw 190 D-11 ProModeler kit is based on Dragon molds and as expected there have been a few fit problems with this kit, the worst so far has been the wing to fuselage join, I ended up using a spreader bar inside the fuselage to improve the fit but there was still a small gap at the wing root that needed putty and sanding.
I have read that I should expect some trouble getting the landing gear to fit correctly and I will find out later this weekend when I get to that point in the construction of this model.

My Do 335 is being finished as a Luft 46 nightfighter and has a very colorful paint job now and as far as I know there have been no other models of the Do 335 with this camouflage pattern and colors.

The next two models I plan to make are a couple Ta 183s, one in 1/48 scale and the other in 1/72 scale, these models will be part of a ''photo/diorama'' that I intend to do next year, I have eight Ta 183 kits now that will be built for this project.

Matrixone