Help me rectify this canopy disaster

Started by nev, July 16, 2004, 10:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

I've put this in here cos the hints & tips forum won't allow you to post images.

It would appear that I left a gap between the canopy & the fuselage and that when I sprayed the model with primer that some paint found its way through the gap onto the inside of the canopy.

As you can see, I've tried scraping the spots of primer off with my scalpel, but thats only scratched the plastic (I can probly hide that with a bit of Future).

But how do I get rid of the white paint?  :wacko:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Bryan H.

You could try some paint stripper.  I forget the brand name but it comes in a rectangular metal tin & will strip any paint off.  It doesn't always smear paint; just brush it on & it goes to work.  You could probably re-apply repeatedly until it's clean & then just buff it up with a paper towel.

You could also write off to the manufacturer for a new canopy.

:cheers: & good luck, Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Aircav

If is enamel try white spirts or brake fluid and the polish with some toothpaste.
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

Its Halfords White Primer (acrylic)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Bryan H.

The paint stripper I was thinking of "Strip-a-kit" in my previous post.

:cheers: Bryan  

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Aircav

QuoteThe paint stripper I was thinking of "Strip-a-kit" in my previous post.

:cheers: Bryan
You'll get Radish start
;)  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

viper29_ca

If you can find it, try Castrol Super Clean, its in the automotive department and is a cleaner/degreaser, and works wonders. Throw away your paint strippers, Easy Off, Brake Cleaner...this is the ultimate...it will strip multiple layers of whatever kind of paint you can throw at it. And at the same time, leaving the plastic like it was new.

You may still have to buff out the scratches on it though....but this stuff will take the paint off for sure. Just make sure to wear gloves when using it.
Thanks
Scott
Elm City Hobbies

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com

John Howling Mouse

I should know this, probably, but from exactly what kit/scale is this?
Any after-market vac-formed canopy out there?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Mairfrog

Real paint stripper will dissolve a canpoy in an instant.  :blink:

Unfortunately it's the only stuff that'll shift Halfords acrylics. <_<

For stripping enamel paints you can't beat Mr. Muscle oven cleaner. The paint falls off in a few hours and the plastic is left untouched.

For acylics I'd recommend seppuku.  :huh:

nev

QuoteI should know this, probably, but from exactly what kit/scale is this?
Any after-market vac-formed canopy out there?
Its the 1/72 Italeri Hornet, for which I paid 3 quid , mainly for the decals (tho I was pleasantly surprised to find HARMs & Harpoons in there too :) ).  I certainly ain't gunna go to the trouble of paying for a vacform canopy or somesuch.

Mairfrog

Just plunge form a new one already. Block off the open end of the original, fill it with epoxy, sand it smooth and voila! A master from which you can produce endless canopies, using the tried and tested (or trying and testing) heat 'n' smash method.  B)