De Havilland Fireball

Started by pyro-manic, April 11, 2012, 04:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 12, 2012, 12:11:27 PM
We've seen a few single engined aircraft whiffed into twins before now, but I don't think we've seen the opposite.

Radical, and good thinking. Looking forward to the final result.  :thumbsup:

Very elegant, and inspiring!

kitbasher

Quote from: kitbasher on November 12, 2012, 01:19:07 PM
Pics of my dH Dolphin as seen at Telford to follow.  A Merlin Comet can be done, chaps.

And here it is:

('borrowed' pic courtesy of Aircav's SMW collection, my own thread to come this week)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

deathjester

That's BEAUTIFUL!!!  Does look very 'Supermarine-ish' though...

kitbasher

Quote from: deathjester on November 13, 2012, 04:02:35 PM

One or two others said that at Telford.  I think it must be the colour scheme - 'borrowed' off the S.6 and S.6B.  Had it been all red, black or green - classic Coment finishes - I wonder whether people would say 'Supermarine-ish'?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Almost all the Schneider Trophy racers of the late 30s looked like that though.

It was the optimum engineering solution to the same problem, a BIG engine at the front driving a very coarse pitch propeller, a very slim fuselage with the very minimum of space (and forward view.....) for the pilot, the smallest possible wings to keep it up at 400 mph plus and two floats large enough to stop it siinking, but only just.

If the MC-72 had been painted blue and sliver it might have looked 'Supermarine-ish' too.

Hm, now there's an idea. I have the ruddy AWFUL Delta kit of the MC-72 up in The Loft somewhere............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: deathjester on November 13, 2012, 04:02:35 PM

It is a looker but strangely my first reaction wasn't "Supermarine". I thought "ah a single engined Comet"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Congratulations to both Kitbasher and pyro-manic :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

steelpillow

Another Merlin-engined Comet, independently re-invented and with backstory etc. at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=39598

Cheers.