B-47 Stratojet

Started by Matt Wiser, July 03, 2004, 01:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wiser

Here's a plane that's been talked about some on the forum, so here goes it with the B-47. Three main versions for possible foreign use: B-47E (the definitive bomber version), RB-47E (PHOTOINT) with various cameras in the bomb bay, and the RB-47H (ELINT) with three EWOs and stations in a highly modified bomb bay.

While U.S. use from 1951 on is known, a Korea combat eval never occured, thanks to the B version's teething troubles and Curtis LeMay insisting that the B-47 fleet be committed to nuclear strike ops from CONUS and foreward basing in Europe, the Middle East, and Far East (Guam, Okinawa, Clark in the Philippines). A combat eval in Korea would probably have the B-47s flying both day and night missions, with the night birds being painted similar to the B-29s with their black underbellies.

Other users:

RAF: they have problems with the Valiant and for a B-29 replacement the RAF leases (or gets under MAP) enough B-47s to fit RAF needs until the Victor and Vulcan are ready. Possible conventional combat use in Suez, anyone? They would have been replaced when the Vulcan comes because the Blue Steel standoff missile was too heavy and too long for the B-47's bomb bay. RB versions would likely have had a longer time in service.

RAAF: Kown to have been offered B-47s by Boeing, for conventional bombing (all bomber versions had conventional capability, but SAC rarely practiced it). Recon versions likely also. RAAF B-47s would likely have flown in Vietnam.

BTW SAC retired the B-47E in 1967, and the RB-47 variants in 1969. Last U.S. use was a drone control B-47E flown by the Navy in 1979.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

elmayerle

Hmm, how about a B-47 with four J57 engines, perhaps using the complete nacelles and pylons from the 367-80/KC-135/707?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

Or if they wanted to save on tooling costs, the engine nacelle and pylon from a B-52 with a large external tank where the outboard engines used to be; this tank could even have provisions for some outrigger gear.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Your 4 engine B-47 sounds a bit like the "YB-47C" (originally the "YB-56") that was proposed by Boeing in 1950. It was to be a major variant, with four big Allison J71-A-5 turbojet engines, providing 4,575 kilograms (10,090 pounds) thrust each, in place of the six GEs J47s.  The Pratt & Whitney J57 was also considered, but was still in development, and the B-52 Stratofortress had priority for this engine.

Another option might be to take the turboprop route and using 4 big turboprops - it might not be as fast, but range might be improved.  Maybe look like a 4 engined XB-47D:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Rat

It would be a major job, but what about a shorter wing and fuselage version with four engines buried in the wing roots like the Valiant or Bison?  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Take all the engines off the wings and run her on a pair of Orenda's like the Avro tesbed, one each side of the rear fuse.......

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

QuoteTake all the engines off the wings and run her on a pair of Orenda's like the Avro tesbed, one each side of the rear fuse.......

Oooooh, now there's an idea I could go for! Or configure it like the XB-51, an engine on each cheek and one in the tail!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: GTX on December 26, 2007, 10:58:13 AMYour 4 engine B-47 sounds a bit like the "YB-47C" (originally the "YB-56") that was proposed by Boeing in 1950. It was to be a major variant, with four big Allison J71-A-5 turbojet engines, providing 4,575 kilograms (10,090 pounds) thrust each, in place of the six GEs J47s.  The Pratt & Whitney J57 was also considered, but was still in development, and the B-52 Stratofortress had priority for this engine.Another option might be to take the turboprop route and using 4 big turboprops - it might not be as fast, but range might be improved.  Maybe look like a 4 engined XB-47D

The XB-47C would look good with four propellers instead of the 2X2 combination.  Maybe kitbashing a B-47 with a C-130 for the parts (both available in 144th or 72nd scale) again, another expensive kit bashing project but it would be fun. 

As an aircraft that was designed specifically for the nuclear strike mission with conventional bombinb as a secondary role there was not much room for growth in the early models.  With that being said, I would like to think that in the WHIF world, the B-47 would have had a chance to grow into something with capabilities similar to the the B-52 with a slightly smaller crew and bomb load. 

The B-47 was a medium bomber for all intents and purposes and with external pylons under the wings would have been able to lift quite and impressive bomb load for a "medium bomber."  If Boeing had been able to upgrade the B-47 with more powerful engines, the number cold have been reduced from six to four to allow for increased range and still have the ability to haul a meaningul load of bombs or electronics.  This version could very well have found a place in other air forces that would have allowed the B-47 to soldier on for much longer than it did in real life.  Potential operators would be all of the usual suspects. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Daryl J.

As pretty as the B-47 is, both the Canadians and Brits should have been able to have a go at it:

Dk. Sea Grey over white
Hemp over Extrafrenetic Munchies Light Mud with lo-viz markings and a Post Office Red tail.

How about an extra progressive USAF that was into conservation of materials, your money, advanced electronics, etc and creating a EB-47x outfitted by the Steve Jobs Dark Mac electonics suite?   Lo-vis flat metallic grey like the new Raptor with a small Mac Apple bite somewhere on the vertical tail.    OK>.......I've fallen in love with my iMac, my kids at age 4 quote Macbook Air details to the sales reps, and I can't wait for a 3G iPhone........it has tainted my ideas.   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ;D ;D ;D

Daryl J.

lenny100

Quote from: elmayerle on December 25, 2007, 11:32:39 PM
Hmm, how about a B-47 with four J57 engines, perhaps using the complete nacelles and pylons from the 367-80/KC-135/707?
already done it with this little project

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Archibald

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 26, 2007, 06:34:17 PM
Take all the engines off the wings and run her on a pair of Orenda's like the Avro tesbed, one each side of the rear fuse.......

Then change its wings, maybe something from a Skywarrior or a Tu-16...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Jeffry Fontaine

I had another brilliant idea for a kit bashing the other day that involved a 1/72nd scale B-47 and B-58 to turn the B-47 into a higher performance aircraft by fitting the J79 engines from the B-58 to the B-47. 

I imagine in real life it would have been a short life span airframe due to the increased stress on the airframe imposed by the higher performance engines but it would have been a real looker for the short time that it was active.  Take off rolls would have been much shorter and time to climb would have been reduced substantially.  Anyone have a B-47 and a B-58 to kit bash? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Daryl J.

Since the lines are a lithe and sleek as can be, why not pull a true American stunt and come up with some body that is about a corpulent as can be.....not exactly SuperGuppy/Beluga fare, but in that vein.   

Cliche:  Raspberry Ripple!    :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Daryl J.

gooberliberation

Quote from: Daryl J. on September 24, 2008, 09:43:30 PM
Since the lines are a lithe and sleek as can be, why not pull a true American stunt and come up with some body that is about a corpulent as can be.....not exactly SuperGuppy/Beluga fare, but in that vein.   
Daryl J.

I can see it now..

B-47F "Fatojet" with significantly thicker fuselage section to accomodate large-diameter thermonuclear bombs :wacko:

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Jeffry Fontaine

Replace the 2 X 20mm cannons in the tail turret with a Vulcan