SdKfz 249/1 Patrouillefahrzeug mit sechs Rad und Türmchen-Kanone

Started by beowulf, July 23, 2011, 04:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

Sd Kfz 249/2 Hanomag-Patrouillefahrzeug mit sechs Rad und Türmchen-Kanone
Sd Kfz 249/2 Hanomag Patrol Vehicle with six wheels and turret cannon

Got the inspiration to hack this about from here........
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,32932.msg515848.html#msg515848

Had this really poor kit of a SdKfz 251 by Nitto........picked it up for pennies somewhere, old old old kit with a little battery powered motor to drive rubber band tracks, no interior detail since thats where the batteries go.............had an old Tamiya Sd kfz 222 kit that i built about 5 years ago when i got back in to modelling which kindly donated the wheels..............then i thought about using the turret  as well
In the real world they really did do a version of the 251 using this turret.....although it was a late C/D model of the 251 where as this is an early A/B and they only made @20 of them late in the war......i believe Dragon even do a kit of it!....the version on the smaller 250 was more successful apparently

Back story could be a cheaper version of the 251 using truck running gear for use in places where a tracked vehicle would not be quick enough or would be too much of a vehicle, for instance convoy protection duties or patrolling installations such as air fields or dock yards where the off road capability would not be needed
I could see the same route would be taken as with the 250 and 251 half tracks with a multitude of different variations being produced

Since its based on an early A/B version of the 251 i gave it a pre '43 type overall panzergrau colour

hack about stage.....

primer stage......

Panzergrau stage before giving it a wash

some mud..............didnt want to add too much since its not supposed to be going offroad...........imo i cocked this up....didnt get it right at all

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

beowulf

I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

TsrJoe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: looks really good, kindv like a replacement for the 6rad used during the 'blitzkrieg' campaigns  :bow:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Maverick

Very very nice, looks eerily like the one I'd envisaged.  Great minds methinks.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

Nice.  I'd have perhaps put the spare wheels between the front and rear ones on free-wheeling hubs, as they did on the real 6 Rad armoured cars, to try and prevent them from bellying when crossing obstacles.  But apart from that it looks quite realistic.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

beowulf

thanks guys.....all comments appreciated  :thumbsup:

was a lot of fun to do

buzzbomb

Yes, like this.

It has practicality about.

Now I know where the Russians got the idea for the postwar BTR 152 ;D

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PYF42

Thanks for the very good idéa .
I have a sdkfz 251 Esci 1/72 , that I don't know what I can do ....
Now , I know ! A 6 wheels armoured car !
Fred

PYF42

Sorry for the copyright Beowulf  ;D
I made one !
Sdkfz 251 Esci + parts of GMC Heller
Scale 1/72e

Regards
Fred

beowulf

so......any more progress on this, PYF?  ;D

would like to see a tiddler version

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est