Balkans

Started by Geoff, July 20, 2011, 02:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I was thinking that it would have made good sense for the Romanians to build a version of the Jaguar A/E in place of the Jurom Orao. Which in turn could be replaced with the Mirage 2000. These could also be operated by Yugoslavia.

Other thoughts Romanian Alpha Jets,  :wub:  which is where I started.

Jugoslavian Mig-21 Lancers. Where the Slovenian war (10 day War) is crushed, and reasonably good relations are kept with NATO. I did take this a bit further and have Kosovo as a Jihadi insurgency with the FSRJ being supported by NATO.

(This should probably be in the Alt History thread.)

Any thoughts?

Mossie

Yugoslavia took two Gnats for evaluation.  If a follow on order had been forthcoming, maybe it would have been developed in favour of the Galeb & spawned some home grown variants?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Quote from: Mossie on July 21, 2011, 02:15:12 AM
Yugoslavia took two Gnats for evaluation.  If a follow on order had been forthcoming, maybe it would have been developed in favour of the Galeb & spawned some home grown variants?

The Gnat (and the Midge too) has always seemed to me to be an under-rated light fighter.  The Indians did great things with it and given a modicum of development  I'm sure that the R A F could have done so too.  A swarm of Gnats with a couple of Sidewinders and an Aden cannon pod each would be a suitable mount for the RAFVR in alternative history.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Radish

And the new Airfix Gnat is coming........

Meanwhile, I like the idea of a Mirage 2000N....mmmmmm. :wacko:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mossie

Quote from: Rheged on July 21, 2011, 03:19:38 AM
The Gnat (and the Midge too) has always seemed to me to be an under-rated light fighter.  The Indians did great things with it and given a modicum of development  I'm sure that the R A F could have done so too.  A swarm of Gnats with a couple of Sidewinders and an Aden cannon pod each would be a suitable mount for the RAFVR in alternative history.

I think the Gnat in mk.1 guise had some serious foibles but aquitted itself well in service with India, they also did a good job of ironing out the bugs with the Ajeet.  Had Folland further developed the Gnat (& Petters personality not partially prevented it) it might have had some great potential.

Quote from: Radish on July 21, 2011, 04:47:58 AM
And the new Airfix Gnat is coming........

I think I'll be getting a shelf full.... :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Geoff

I hadn't thought of the Gnat, that would make a good Wif.

I am doing a Slovak hawk at the moment.

Mossie

Geoff

Quote from: Mossie on July 22, 2011, 02:09:23 AM
Digital camo??? :wacko:

No, I was going to do it in the middle euro scheme with earth, tan, and green. But  I do like the idea of digital. How would you do it in 1/72nd?

Mossie

Three ways I can think of:

1) Rob the digi camo decals from a MiG-29 set.  The MiG is probably large enough to make it reasonably easy to adapt them to the Hawk.  Kopro did a couple of their MiG-29 kit with them, shouldn't be expensive.

2) Mark them onto decal sheet.  Grab some graph paper & draw out a template, once your happy with the shape, carefully cut out your templates.  You can probably find a few shades of near-as-dagnamit greys at Hannants, or paint clear or white decal sheet if you want it bob-on.

3) Mark them onto masking tape, using a similar method to 2, paint as normal.

Geoff

Cheers. Might have a go at the masking tape version.

I have just been reading that Croatia was negociating for 12 ex-Luftwaffe F-4Fs, but the deal fell through.