Focke Wulf FW 57 reincarnated

Started by starship1, July 05, 2011, 08:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starship1

I was recently going through my copy of Hitler's Luftwaffe, and I got to wondering how the FW 57 would have faired if it had been built with a pair of radials in the 2000+hp range and a solid nose instead of what it got?  I was thinking in terms of a large ground attack aircraft.  Your replies will be most anticipated.

Maverick

Given the aircraft was part of the Kampfzerstorer concept, rather than the Zerstorer idea that ended up with the Bf-110, I suspect, had the type entered service, that it would have been able to perform in a ground attack role.  Perhaps a solid nose with heavier fixed armament than its two 20mm cannon would have been a logical progression of the type.  Greater performance with later variants would certainly have been an option, although given the Fw-190's radial was around the 1500hp class, it might have been a while before 2000hp engines became available for the type.

I actually think the Kampfzerstorer concept had more merit than the Zerstorer.  Conceptually, one might consider it as a multi-role aircraft in the sense of a modern aircraft rather than finding itself adapted to the roles, like the Mosquito or Ju-88.  I always thought the Zerstorer concept was a flawed one, given that it failed to take into account enemy fighter opposition.

I did three profiles of the basic Fw-57 a while ago.

Regards,

Mav

starship1

I'll have to find those profiles.  Thanks, Mav.

GTX

I'm assuming one would need to scratch build any Fw-57 model since I'm pretty sure there are no kits.  Based upon the drawings etc below, what would be people's suggestions:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Wooksta!

An Fw 58 *might* be a starting point. 

One of the major problems with the Fw 57 was that it was overweight.  Given the success of the Ju 88, cancelling the Fw 57 was a good move.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

starship1

True, it was overweight.  But if you compare it to the proposed P-61E, you see that the P-61E was heavier. That is, of course, if my data is correct.

GTX

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 07, 2011, 04:33:29 AM
An Fw 58 *might* be a starting point. 

One of the major problems with the Fw 57 was that it was overweight.  Given the success of the Ju 88, cancelling the Fw 57 was a good move.

That was my first thought too, but comparing designs, there is actually not much that is usable (IMHO):

Maybe bits of a Me410 for the wing and rear fuselage/empenage perhaps?

and parts from a Potez 63 series aircraft perhaps?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

If anything the rear fuselage reminds me heavily of the Hs129.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

Tail surfaces perhaps but the Hs 129 is a much smaller aircraft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic