Flaps up or down?

Started by rickshaw, July 01, 2011, 11:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Airfix's Canberra kits have separate flaps that can be set up or down.   Does anybody know what is the usual position when the Canberra is parked on the ground?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Steel Penguin

having a quick look through my copy of " the Canberra display team"  its both with possibly a slight lean to up, ( though the pick of engine start on p25 there down)  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

GTX

My sources also show both being used.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

They don't fall down when the hydraulic pressure bleeds off, unlike a P-51's main landing gear doors for instance. I suppose it depends where the pilot left them, so it's random choice.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2011, 01:48:11 PM
They don't fall down when the hydraulic pressure bleeds off, unlike a P-51's main landing gear doors for instance. I suppose it depends where the pilot left them, so it's random choice.

If I was the Pilot I would leave them on the aircraft  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

GTX

I knew you would be the best man to respond :thumbsup:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

Ah, the plot thickens.  Thanks for the explanations everybody.  We'll just have to see how they fall.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on July 02, 2011, 02:07:48 PM

If I was the Pilot I would leave them on the aircraft  ;D

Indeed, you can't trust a crew chief with something as important as a flap.....  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ChrisF

From what both my father says and what i see here:

http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/canberra_walkaround.html

...The canberra SHOULD be flaps up with spacers and stays in place to stop random movement (Wind maybe? lol)

Assuming the stays are missing then i guess they may move down...

... Again the plot thickens...  ;D

jeremak

Or maybe made it on the moment of just tuching down airstrip, with gears and flaps down? With a airstrip fragment base? Just sugestion...

Ed S

In my experience, the flaps were always retracted after landing before leaving the A/C. However, on some A/C after sitting without pressure on the hydraulics, they would slowly lower a little.

I guess the best reference would be photos of a specific A/C.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mossie

I did an Airliners.net search with oldest aircraft first, after a quick look I only spotted one parked aircraft as having it's flaps down.
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?keywords=english+electric+canberra&sort_order=year+asc&page_limit=120&page=1&sid=e4d1fd12a78e7a36c193f8158e9c2180

If anyone has a copy of the Canberra's pilot notes (they were recentley published) they should give you the normal flap procedure & possibly the position when power is off.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

If I remember correctly from working on a PR9, the flap system has a pilot operated check valve in the control system. That's not the pilot who flies the aircraft, it's the name given to a small control port in the valve that 'reads' the main systme pressure. If that's not present the flaps are locked in position, wherever thay happen to be when the main system pressure drops below the 'pilot presuure', usually about 80% of the system pressure.

That's why I said the flaps don't droop if the system pressure falls off earlier on. Mind you, that may be unique to the PR9 as it was the only Canberra mark with fully powered controls.

Regards
Kit