'What If' 'Wheeled' Sd.Kfz.251

Started by MAD, June 30, 2011, 07:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAD

G'day once again

Can I request of someone who is into doing armoured profiles to have a go at doing a 'What If' wheeled (6x6) variant of the German Sd.Kfz.251 halftrack please?

Thank you in advance

M.A.D

rickshaw

There have been several conversions, on paper and in plastic done here of the SdKfz 232 8 Rad armoured car into an APC.  Would that be sufficient for you or does it specifically have to be the SdKfz 251?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

beowulf

hmmm...that gives me ideas...............got an incredibly old and inaccurate Nitto 251.......so old its motorised with rubber tracks... :rolleyes:.....would look horrible........now im thinking 6 wheels and a sdkfz 222 turret  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Maverick

I can have a thunk on it Robert.  Seems quite a simple option really, just a 6 x 4 (or whatever the nomenclature is for trucks).

Regards,

Mav

Mr.Creak

What if... I had a brain?

MAD

G'day gents

Thanks very much for your speedy response and enthusiasm to my request  :bow:

QuoteThere have been several conversions, on paper and in plastic done here of the SdKfz 232 8 Rad armoured car into an APC.  Would that be sufficient for you or does it specifically have to be the SdKfz 251?

Thanks Rickshaw! Where can I find these "several conversions, on paper and in plastic done here of the SdKfz 232 8 Rad armoured car into an APC."???

In response to your question, I would very much like it to be a SdKfz 251 conversion please!

QuoteI can have a thunk on it Robert.

As per usual Maverick, your time and effort is always appreciated  :cheers:
I initial thought to ask you, but I feel I am often imposing and overstaying my welcome with my requests!!
It would be great to see what you can devise!! Thanks

QuoteQuick and dirty
Wow thanks Mr Creak  :bow:

I wish my long and drawn out attempts of profiling was an equal to your quick and dirty efforts!  :banghead:
Could I request your time to have another crack, but with the centrally located wheel moved further back in the traditional truck manor  :thumbsup:

Thanks again gents
I am away with the Army this weekend (blowing things up! It's a tough job but someone has to do it!! ;D). So please excuse me if you hear no reply from me to your posts.

M.A.D   

jcf

One could use the M-B G3 series as a base (which they did with the G3a(p) armoured car aka Sd.Kfz.231).
http://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=920

For a larger vehicle perhaps the LG3000

... or perhaps an MAN einheits-diesel

... and to get the feel, a US M3 halftrack that was evidently converted to wheels using CCKW motive components.

:cheers:

Mr.Creak

Quote from: MAD on June 30, 2011, 11:25:13 PMCould I request your time to have another crack, but with the centrally located wheel moved further back in the traditional truck manor  :thumbsup:
Done:

And an 8-rad:

The mudguards over (what previously was) the tracks will require lifting, but, since it's all flat panels/ strips it shouldn't be too hard to scratch (or maybe just cut down the originals).
What if... I had a brain?

ysi_maniac

^^^^
Exactly the idea that suggested me to read: 'Wheeled' Sd.Kfz.251
Will die without understanding this world.

jcf

Quick-n-dirty  Sdkfz.231 6-rad and Sdkfz.251 mash-up:

beowulf

this idea has really got me thinking and been doing a little research............happened to come across this

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/1-Germany/09-ArmoredCars/6-rad/Sd.Kfz.251B.htm
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

jcf

Quote from: beowulf on July 01, 2011, 12:35:38 PM
this idea has really got me thinking and been doing a little research............happened to come across this

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/1-Germany/09-ArmoredCars/6-rad/Sd.Kfz.251B.htm

That poor Prötze chassis would be severely overloaded as it was not a very large vehicle, and it was underpowered
with its air-cooled four.
Perhaps an Sdkfz.250 type body instead? Making it similar to the Prötze based Sdkfz.247:
http://vorbild.ipmsdeutschland.de/Zeichnungen/SdKfz_247_AusfA/SdKfz_247_AusfA.html

The Dutch Wilton-Fijenord armored car also used the Prötze chassis and engine:

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

rickshaw

Quote from: MAD on June 30, 2011, 11:25:13 PM
G'day gents

Thanks very much for your speedy response and enthusiasm to my request  :bow:

QuoteThere have been several conversions, on paper and in plastic done here of the SdKfz 232 8 Rad armoured car into an APC.  Would that be sufficient for you or does it specifically have to be the SdKfz 251?

Thanks Rickshaw! Where can I find these "several conversions, on paper and in plastic done here of the SdKfz 232 8 Rad armoured car into an APC."???

Do a search?

Buzzbomb did one:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,29707.0.html

Gunbird did an earlier one:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,29707.0.html

Here is one I created for my "Remember Eureka" counter-factual:

You should be aware that simply adding wheels to the SdKfz 251 would cause many problems.  With two rear mounted wheels, you have a possibility or "bellying" the vehicle when crossing sharp ridges/ditches.   With equally spaced wheels, you have to lose considerable space in the rear compartment to have the rear wheels steer or the turning circle becomes impossibly large.   With all wheeled vehicles, there is much lower mobility compared to track vehicles as well, particularly with narrow, single tyred wheels of the 1940s style.  So, there are compromises involved.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

mkhulu

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 01, 2011, 11:18:22 AM
Quick-n-dirty  Sdkfz.231 6-rad and Sdkfz.251 mash-up:

reminds me of the BTR-152
Going nowhere slowly