Mosquito Mayhem

Started by nev, June 14, 2004, 11:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Now that *that* Tornado is finished I turn my attention to one of my all time favourite planes  :wub:  :wub:

I spent a very enjoyable day Sunday "doing a Radish" ie preparing all the main parts whilst watching Englands magnificent win over New Zealand to complete the series sweep in the cricket  :cheers:

The Tamiya kit looks every bit as good as all the reviews say and I am thoroughly looking forward to getting stuck in.  :ar:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

What scheme will it have Nev boy??

:wub:  

nev

QuoteWhat scheme will it have Nev boy??

Well, there are 2 Aluminium options on that Aeromaster sheet.

The RAF one has the blue/blue roundels and has Dark Blue spinners & ID stripes to break up the overall NMF making it more "interesting", but has no nose art.

The RAAF one has blue/white roundels, but is NMF overall with nothing to break the colour up.  However it has nose art on the crew access door, "Chief Sitting Bull".

Right now I am tending towards the 2nd option.  I intend to display it on a simple diorama base with nose guns exposed, bomb bay open and crew door open (all options OOB) and a couple of Erks working on it.  Because I intend to have the access door open, I want to use the nose art on it.

I've already changed my mind a couple of times though :D  Whaddya you guys reckon?

BTW, in an ideal world I would buy a couple more FB.VI's and do the other Far East option off the sheet, plus an all black NF.II :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

Sounds good Nev!

I have an Aeromaster sheet with Mossies, I already did the Swiss one :

And I want to do the French Air Force one too, it's all blue with yellow spinners!!   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I'll need the new Airfix kit for that though...

Lots of other Mossies I want : 410 Sqn night fighter, 423 Intruder...

Captain Canada

Yes, that's right Ollie, all Mossies should be done in Kick-donkey RCAF colours.....

You lestening, Nev ?

Huh ?

:P

That's a 72nd scaler, is it Nev ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

QuoteThat's a 72nd scaler, is it Nev ?
Hell no.  

1/48 is the only scale that Warbirds should be built in :)

And those "kick-donkey" RCAF colours........you do know they're RAF colours, right?  :P .  Still, build enough Mossies and eventually you'll have to do at least one as RCAF  :)

Anyway, I've decided its gunna have to be the RAAF, plain NMF one - thats August 1945, the RAF one is for 1946.

And one of the B.IV options is for RAF Woodhall Spa, which is just down the road from me.  Dammit!  Thats *2* Tamiya B.IVs I've gotta buy now as I simply must do a PR.IV as well  :blink:  

Radish

You must get more Mossies , Nev.
Think of all the fun you can have preparing them, and as wooksta says, the Tamiya ones are excellent, but the Airfix aren't bad.
Useful schemes as well are...
FB.VI in French Indo-China colours with sharkmouth
Israeli FB.6 but with 4-blade props....camo or silver
All black Israeli NF.30
Dominican FB.VI with 4-blade props
RN FB.6 post-war
Why not an all-yellow T.3?
All the above arereal, of course.
:angry:
A funny might be:
Finnish post-war nightfighter
Luftwaffe 1952 NATO colours
American USAAF-production bomber in bright 8th AF markings, or 9th AF??
Portuguese?
Spanish?
Argentinian?
:ar:  :ar:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Swamphen

Or perhaps Lithuanian, after the Baltic States were liberated in 1949?  B)  

nev

Lee, I have the Airfix NF30, which contains all the original bits so I could still make an FB.VI if I wanted.  2 thumbs up to Airfix for including all the original bits  :cheers:

If memory serves the prototype was bright yellow?  A trip to Halfords and an eye catching model I imagine?  :)   Keep us informed

Rad:  The Mossie is one of those planes that I couldn't bring to myself to build a what-if model of - not until I've built about 10 real ones anyway.  Theres just too many cool looking real ones before you get to "funnies".  I'm sure Lee will have done it, but a Griffon engined one with contra-props would be nice  :wub:

TUCK

a NEV who likes mossies...interestink..

Hmmmmm..lets see.  I recall many a dogfight against an individual named NEV on the ancient AIR WARRIOR on-line game from the mid-nineties... B)

YOUR name is NEV....you like brit stuff..(was it 603 squad?) and your favorite plane was the Mossie..AND you live in Canada.. ?:D

Am I right????? :huh:

If so, I even recieved a RCAF patch from ya....

P.S.  I forgot my handle from way back when, but I flew the 109 F exclusively in the Battle O' Brittain Arena.

If I'm WAY off base, sorry, there were just too many coincidences to ignore.

Tuck

Ollie

Nev is a Brit buddy!

:P  :D  :D  

Radish

Marvellous stuff.
I admit the idea of What If? Mossies might be against the grain if you're really into it, but let the mind ramble a bit!
Lithuanian markings from Blue Rider. Great decals.
I did an airfix Spit 22 in Lithuanioan markings. Bust now though.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

TsrJoe

hiya mossie fans...

for something a little different theres the 'Halford jet Mossie' (the engine not the car acc store!),  the DH.102 'Sabre Mossie' with contraprops (the ones from a Shackleton fit perfectly!), and a 'super Mossie' with uprated Merlins and swept back wings!!!

other variants for which iv found mention but unfortunately no drawings as yet, are for a four engined Mosquito and a radial engined design! (im assuming the latter would look very Argentinian!)

anyone out there with info on the latter two please post it up..or indeed anyone mad enough to build models of them id love to see them..

happy modelling, cheers, joe  :ph34r:

ps. there was also a 'jet Hornet project similsar to the Mossie design too...very nice

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Captain Canada

The nicest looking Mossies were the one's used by Spartan Aviation for photo surveying here in canada !

Doesn't somebody do decals for them ?

Crazy........ :P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Ive been thinking of a Hornet with Dart engines - not sure if I'm up to it though. Is the Airfix Herald still available ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.