Quad Tilt Rotor

Started by Green Dragon, June 28, 2011, 08:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Dragon

Been measuring up stuff and will be using the Heller Transall and a couple 1/72nd V-22's if I can find where the hell I've stashed them!
Picked the Transall because I like the sponson shape more than the C-130's.
Planning to cut out the wing box area and shift it to the rear and use extended V-22 wings at the front.
If it all goes wrong I'll probably just do a Rotodyne or something!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Cliffy B

Sounds neat!

If you're familiar with the Hellboy movies remember they come from graphic novels.  There is an offshoot series called B.P.R.D. (the agency Hellboy works for) that has some very interesting technology drawn in it.  In one issue there are several VSTOL heavy lift aircraft, one of which is a quad tilt rotor C-130 and a larger tilt rotor with a huge B-29 style greenhouse nose.  I can get some scans of said cells if you'd like them for inspiration.

Good luck with the build  :thumbsup:

-Mike
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Mossie

Good to see you cracking on with this one! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Great minds think a like, I was thinking of a C-130 based quad myself!!

Green Dragon

Hi all, found a Hobbycrap V-22 (still no sign of my 1/72nd Italeri's lost in the bowels ofthe stash!) but I'm going to change scales for the engines/rotors to 1/48th because the hobbycrap ones looked really too tiny to lift a Transall. The designs for the Bell/Boeing QTR state a rotor span of 55 feet and if my maths are right the 48th rotors work out at about 60 feet scalorama'ed down to 72nd and they look okay in the rough tape up I did (engines may be a bit big though!)

Stargazer, I hope it turns out OK, think I'll be needing a lot of luck and shed load of putty!

Mike, I'd like to see the pics of the Hellboy quads, any chance of posting them in the Up, up and away inspiration thread?

Mossie, I had no choice after getting those Transall parts from you, just needed the group build to give me a kick in the butt to get going! Oh and thanks for cutting out the engines, saved me a hell of a lot of hacking!

McColm, I bought all the C-130 transport kits for use on this build, they were going to be the major part of the fuselage with just the cockpit from the Transall grafted on. I think all the cuts would have been easier but I really liked the Transall's sponsons and it's almost the same size as a Herc anyway. Also the Heller Transall is Very sturdy with thicker plastic and fewer door cut outs than any of the Hercs so it shouldn't flex too much during construction. First pics later hopefully.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Some pics wot I done.
Box shots.

The first cut is the deepest (isn't that a song?).

Hit it with a spray bomb from Halfords on both interior and exterior and did a rough tape up, used the civil boxings interior parts as the military bits were a bit warped. Rear rotors are placed where I will be cutting the wingtips off and mounting the engines. 1/72nd rotors and engine are there to show how tiny they are, reckon the only way the the small ones might work is if you contra-prop them. The 1/48th V-22 wing will be extended so the rotors clear the fuselage.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

arkon

the plastic gods demand sacrifice

McColm

Looks good, I  thought of using my Airfix C-130K, the wings would come from two Hawkeyes, rotors and tail section from a 1/48 V-22. A raid of the spares box could come up with the second set of rotors.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Green Dragon

Don't like Italeri's multi-part rotor blades! Did several rounds of PSR and I can still see where the parts meet, finally gave up and blatted them with Halfords Matt Black spray. Extended the V-22 wings successfully, just got to rub down some Greenstuff in a couple of places and they're done.
Cut down the Transall wings and filled the holes where the old engines used to be with scrap sprue, plasticard and a skim of Greenstuff. Mounted V-22 engine pivots to the Transall wing tips, not sure if I'll try blending them in or leave it with a slight step.
Unfortunately the rear engines are almost in line with the forward ones and may suffer from hot gas ingestion but I might be able to raise the rear wing enough to be clear (may have to make a large hump out of Milliput!).

Hoprfully some pics tomorrow, not sure of colour scheme yet but toying with an Antarctic supply QTR with some dayglow orange or red panels or a civil operated one , really don't want to go overall grey! Thinking of RAF grey/green wraparound or a desert camo (French in Africa?) too.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

McColm

Thanks for the advice.

MiB

Wow, quad...at last!!!
In the movie Transformer 3: Dark Of The Moon the NEST troops used a quad-Osprey. That's interesting...
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Green Dragon

Some progress piccies.
Plasticard tabs used to strengthen V-22 extensions.

New wing but not glued yet.

Filling the fuselage gap with Plasticard.

Fuselage setting with wings placed roughly where I'm planning but it's very tail heavy.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

jsport

Most excellent, super stuff.