TELFORD IPMS F-104 Comp

Started by Radish, June 27, 2011, 03:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Chaps,

I spent some time yesterday whilst at the truly excellent sauna that was the Coventry/Warks  Show talking to members of the Telford IPMS Branch about their September Competition in which people are invited to build the Revell/Monogram F-104G in 1/48th in whichever way they wish.  Currently it's issued in yellow plastic as an F-104G in Belgian Tiger markings; a Vinten camera pod under the fuselage is provided in the kit from its previous release with RCAF markings. My options are:

1. REAL~ and Taiwanese "grabs" me.

2. "Possible"....RAAF or Bolivia, etc., as these plus others might have had F-104s in reality.

3. Repaints....bog standard kit, a few tweaks, and a new paint job.....RAF, RAF SEAC, French, Finnish, Swedish, Ecuador, Argentina, etc.....

4. A radical rebuild....I already know that someone is grafting a Hawk nose onto one!!

I know that GEKKO has done some amazing colour profiles, as have others.

Any ideas....??
Do I satisfy myself with one? Or more than one?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

The F-104 deserves to be mangled. So:

- two engines stacked Lightning-style
- with a rocket above the original engine
- Delta wing

beowulf

isreali with that neat sand/brown/green camo..............perhaps aqquired to augment the F4's back in the 70's
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Radish

Thanks.
I have considered a twin-engined version, more as a space-fighter though, with two big engines, and this option is highly likely at some point.
Israeli ones would look terrific, especially fully loaded like an F-104ASA.

And Bolivia, Ecuador, Columbia all seem possible and attractive.

Mmmmmmm....... :unsure:

Mossie

Well, it is a Starfighter!   :thumbsup:

They look a bit like the 'prongs' on it's namesake the Starfighter from the seventies Buck Rogers TV show.  Take two side by side, add a canopy from something or other on a wedge of plastic card & you've got your own version!  Almost as much fun as a 1/1 Wilma Deering...
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Geoff

Do the proposed Zwilling with the towed fuel glider as a Marinefliger anti ship plane.

pyro-manic

Scale-bash into a B-58 Hustler alternative?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Radish

JayBee

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2011, 03:55:00 PM
Almost as much fun as a 1/1 Wilma Deering...

:blink:

Simon I am getting a little bit worried about you.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Radish

Meanwhile, been doing a little bit of research, and apart from multi-engined versions, zwillings, etc., there's also some minor mods possible, like re-engine and add muli-pylons under the fuselage for strike versions....possible purchasers being Belgium, the Bundeswaffe, Spain, Israel etc..
Of course, i could equipa South American country with a super striker? El Salvador?

Another terribly more expensive version is a TRIPLE build, all linked in a triangular pattern to create a verticle VTOL interceptor.
Sounds lovely, but a bit more than I want to do at the moment.
But....... ;)
There are variations using the various German ideas from the Luft '46 hymn book :o

upnorth

I did an F-104 in 1/72 many moons ago as a SAAF bird. Used SAAF Mirage F.1 decals on it and painted her up in the Sand/Spinach scheme.

I've no pictures, but the look suited the 104 perfectly.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Mossie

Quote from: JayBee on June 28, 2011, 02:40:26 AM
Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2011, 03:55:00 PM
Almost as much fun as a 1/1 Wilma Deering...

:blink:

Simon I am getting a little bit worried about you.

I'm worried that you're only a little bit worried!  ;D Or should I be worried that your most worried about me in a thread by by Terry???? :o
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Upnorth... :thumbsup:...good idea!!

Mossie :wacko: :tank: :o :smiley:

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!