Lockheed Twins - Hudson and Ventura

Started by GTX, June 24, 2011, 02:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

About time we had a thread for these.

I'll start:  I was recently looking at the Lockheed Ventellation (See photo - a Ventura testbed that was fitted with the cowlings etc - but no actual engines I believe - of the Lockheed Constellation) and wondered, what if they did fit the Wright R-3350-DA3 Turbo Compound 18-cylinder supercharged radial engines of 3,250 hp each!  Bit of a step up from the standard 2000 hp R2800s!  Sure they were a bit heavier, but still in this whiffverse I'm sure we could overcome that. ;)

Over to you for more ideas.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rallymodeller

Air racing.  :wacko:

Actually, interesting idea there. Monster engines on smaller transports. I'm thinking R4360-engined Dakotas and Griffon-powered Vikings...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

famvburg

It WAS fitted with the R-3350s. Not sure of the HP, but I don't think those early ones were quite 3250hp. It was also fitted with the Connie's props which is why the nose is so short, to allow clearance.

Quote from: GTX on June 24, 2011, 02:46:47 PM
About time we had a thread for these.

I'll start:  I was recently looking at the Lockheed Ventellation (See photo - a Ventura testbed that was fitted with the cowlings etc - but no actual engines I believe - of the Lockheed Constellation) and wondered, what if they did fit the Wright R-3350-DA3 Turbo Compound 18-cylinder supercharged radial engines of 3,250 hp each!  Bit of a step up from the standard 2000 hp R2800s!  Sure they were a bit heavier, but still in this whiffverse I'm sure we could overcome that. ;)

Over to you for more ideas.

Regards,

Greg

famvburg

Dee Howard & Lear, before the LearJet, modified Lockheed twins into quite fast corporate aircraft. Some of the last a/c were really fast, for the size a/c. I think the most powerful engine used was 2500hp R-2800 CB-16s. Some were even converted to tri-gear. Here's a site with lots of info on the post WWII hot rod exec versions.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.zoeller/

famvburg

The Ventillation's R-3350s were only 2200hp.

jcf

The Lockheed Twin family is the Models 10, 12, 14 and 18.
The Hudson series were developed from the Model 14 and the Ventura from the Model 18.
While based on the Ventura, the Vega built PV-2 model number was changed from Lockheed
Model 37, to Vega Model 15 because of the extent of design modification.

Ventillation was indeed R3350 powered, the Turbo-Cyclones were not used on the Constellation
until the L 1049 Super Constellation. Interestingly all of the original series Connies (049, 649 and 749)
were offered with the choice of P&W Double Wasp (R2800), Wright Double Cyclone (R3350) or Bristol
Centaurus powerplants. All delivered aircraft used the Wright engine.

Technically the Vega Starliner was also a Lockheed Twin.  ;)

One for BdB  ;) , a Model 12A used by the USN as the XJO-3 to test trike gear handling characteristics.

sideshowbob9

Already a fascinating thread! The Ventellation would have been an able A-38 competitor!

Daryl J.

Since the Revell kit is now upon us:

Ventura with a triple tail, revised side windows, spinners, no turret.   Korea/Vietnam or Atlantic seaboard.   

Another one with no bomb bay rather instead a belly full of slightly downward turned and depressible machine guns to be used as a strafer.

Fully disarmed version, lightened, and used solely to bring beer.   Or, as it were, casks of single malted Scotch.   Could that then mean the distinctive sound of the Ventura over head  be the ''Clynelish Clatter"?   

Cobra

What about doing a Ventura as an ASR(Air Sea Rescue) first responder? Dan

jcf

Lockheed 12A Electra Junior, Arlington EAA Fly-In, August 2017, Arlington WA USA

I took several photos of the aircraft, this is my favourite.