Floaty flyey things

Started by tigercat, June 22, 2011, 04:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

I just saw that the Germans had plans to amphiambise the Gotha 242 glider. But even better so t could deliver an explosive assault catamaran

A few gliders were constructed with a flying boat-style hull allowing water landings, the Go 242 C-1 variant. It was proposed that some carry a small catamaran assault boat with a 1,200 kg (2,600 lb) explosive charge suspended between its hulls. The proposed mission profile was for the pilot to land near an enemy ship and transfer to the assault boat, setting off at high speed for the enemy ship and locking the controls before bailing out.[1]

http://www.luft46.com/dornier/do216.html

The bottom drawing of the Dornier  216  at leat to me looks very like a  Flying boat Privateer.

The Short Shetland was basically an Amphibian  Stirling  so what else could do with a nautical makeover?

B17? The P47W "Waterjug"

We've had the  Floatfire so why not the Floatang or the Hawker Flurry

kitnut617

There's always the Avro Nottingham ---  ;D

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16956.15.html

and this too;

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Quote from: tigercat on June 22, 2011, 04:39:46 PMThe Short Shetland was basically an Amphibian  Stirling  so what else could do with a nautical makeover?

Correction: the Shetland was a pure flying boat, not an amphibian.  ;)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rheged

Following the Avro Nottingham, I'd be fascinated to see what Whiffed developments of the Lancaster were graced with the names:-

Avro Leicester
Avro  Loughborouh
Avro  Letchworth

I'm happy to write the full backstory if someone out there can give me a clue as to what they may have looked like, should they ever have been designed or built.  I think that they may have been   engine development models.............unless you have a better idea???
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

GTX

Possible Avro Loughborouh:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on June 24, 2011, 11:52:37 AM
Possible Avro Loughborouh:

Regards,

Greg
:thumbsup:

The SARO S.42 was an actual proposal for a Lancaster based flying boat.

pyro-manic

Nice one GTX. :) As the Short Stirling used a wing derived from that of the Sunderland, why not go the other way and make a Stirling into a flying boat?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Quote from: pyro-manic on June 24, 2011, 12:26:14 PM
Nice one GTX. :) As the Short Stirling used a wing derived from that of the Sunderland, why not go the other way and make a Stirling into a flying boat?

That would probably end up looking mighty close to a Short Shetland

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Weren't the Shetland wings rooted in those of the G Class Empire boats? And swept back a bit too, just like a Sunderland.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

How about a B-24 Liberator? High wing, deep fuselage... seems like a natural.

And on that principle...... Blackburn Beverley......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Another suggestion: IL-28 Beagle. Fit a hull, then move the engines to the top of the wing.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2011, 03:59:08 PM

ThinK that's what a PB2Y3 Coronado is Weaver
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 24, 2011, 03:11:17 PM
Weren't the Shetland wings rooted in those of the G Class Empire boats? And swept back a bit too, just like a Sunderland.

The Sunderland wings originally had no sweep, but when the 4 gun Fraser-Nash tail turret was fitted it changed the C of G and sweeping the wings at 4° corrected the problem. Funny thing was that the engine mounts were never reworked so now they all pointed outward. This resulted in a quirk that pilots had to get used to - if power was suddenly reduced the nose used to initially pitch up before dropping.  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2011, 03:59:08 PM

And on that principle...... Blackburn Beverley......

Wait...I thought a B-24 was a flying boat that leaked so badly Convair turned it into a bomber.  ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Daryl J.

Griffon powered, single seat Seiran?