1/144 Boeing 337 - a civil B-29 on a tight deadline

Started by Brian da Basher, June 10, 2011, 06:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Well, today I finally got a start on my last entry, a civil B-29 airliner using the classic 1/144 Minicraft kit. Being on such a tight deadline, I'm tying to keep things simple, but I may not make it under the wire.

Today I cut the nose off and filled in the holes for the fuselage blisters (much, much, much PSR). I was also able to get the props painted and the wings assembled as well as the engines and cowlings on. I've got three or four hours tomorrow to get the fuselage together and add the new nose. That leaves me another six hours or so on Sunday for paint, decals and pics.

Will I make it?

Stay tuned to fine out!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

-- Update --

The fuse is buttoned up and the wings are on as well as the new nose. Tomorrow, paint and decals.

Now off to bed...
Brian da Basher

tigercat

Brian da Basher

-- Update --

I got the first coat of paint on earlier this morning and am about to see if it needs a second coat.

Stay tuned!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The second coat of paint is on and I took a few pics. Pardon the masking tape.

Decals next.
Brian da Basher

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Brian da Basher

W.W. II in Europe ended in 1944 due to advanced stink-bomb technology that made Berlin uninhabitable for those with a sense of smell. War in the Pacific went on until Hirohito and his warlords were drowned in a rain of poisonous frogs in January, 1945. This left a lot of new B-29 bombers without a mission. Of course, the talented engineers at Boeing had a plan to modify the Superfortress for the civilian market and the Boeing 337 Supercruiser was born.

continued...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Able to carry 38 passengers and freight over a 3500 mile range, the Supercruiser was popular with long-haul airlines. Pan Am was the first to add 337 Supercruisers to its fleet and they became ubiquitous on the New York to Azores run. Passengers enjoyed the comfort of the 337 which had a pressurized fuselage enabling it to fly above most turbulence. Pilots appreciated the WXQ weather radar under the nose that allowed them to avoid storms. The rear section aft of the doors had a small kitchen for preparation of in-flight meals and Pan Am's bread was especially noteworthy being lauded in culinary magazines world-wide.

While B-337s were phased out with the advent of jetliners and Pan Am itself went out of business in the 1980s, their incredible Pan Aero bread and baked goods have survived to this day as a very yummy and profitable offshoot of this once-proud airline.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I'm really glad to get this one in under the wire. It took me a day from start to finish, although I'd planned this project a while back. The Pan Am livery and passenger window decals are courtesy of that fine gentleman Frank2056 and the cockpit windows, doors, codes and U.S. flags are all from spares. I had a lot of fun with this project and with this group build too.

Thanks to Nils for moderating this and to each and every one of you for your participation!

Brian da Basher

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

frank2056

It looks great Brian - a bit like a short haul version of it's cousin, the Boeing B-377. It's great to see the decals in action! The Pan Am livery looks good, if I may say so...

Green Dragon

Great plane Brian! Very classy job especially considering how quick you built it!  :bow:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Doc Yo

John Howling Mouse

Yet again, you've come up with another gem that simply looks "just right."   I can picture this baby pulling off the apron and taxiing over to a runway back in the day.
Very cool project!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.