Lead + CA glue: a dangerous combination...

Started by GTX, June 04, 2011, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

NOW he tells us!  :banghead:

I think I have at least 4 models in that category, dear oh dear.........  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Since I first read about that a few weeks ago, I've changed to using PVA glue.   Take a lot longer to dry.

I wonder whether this happens on white metal kits if you superglue them?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on June 04, 2011, 08:15:53 PM
Since I first read about that a few weeks ago, I've changed to using PVA glue.   Take a lot longer to dry.

I wonder whether this happens on white metal kits if you superglue them?

Most 'white metal' has been primarily Tin for many years.
Tin does tend to grow whiskers, but that is more a problem in avionics than model airplanes.  ;) ;D

Rather than PVA use a quick set (5 or 10 minute) epoxy.  :thumbsup:

Jacques Deguerre

The issue the author mentions with museums not wanting to accept models with lead parts or lead paints is due to "lead disease" where that parts literally oxidize to powder over time. This seems to be accelerated by the presence of tannins in wood used on models or in display cabinets. Of course, both the oxidizing lead and the lead oxide pigments in the paints are also toxic.

Maybe some of you with knowledge of chemistry and/or metallurgy could recommend an alternate material to use for weights. Would copper or steel be better? What about lead-free pewter?
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

jcf

Jacques Deguerre

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 04, 2011, 11:49:26 PM
Tungsten, as used nowadays in Pinewood Derby cars.
Denser than lead and non-toxic.
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewood_derby_weight.htm#tungsten
That's a fantastic idea and the prices don't seem too bad either!
The tungsten putty listed in the link Jon posted looks especially intriguing.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

Steel Penguin

lead rot is a big problem in "old" wargames figures as it can reduce them to powder.  Part of the problem is that it can happen un observed under paint layers for a wile , then pops through. 
The best answer is to try to use acid free materials, if you get signs, is open up, clean and remove if you can, ill let people with a better memory for the specifics of the chemistry deal in it.
more modern white metal minis tend to be lead free, as there was a big hoo ha abought it (lead and its toxicity and wont some one think of the children etc etc) and there was muttering of a ban on sales in parts of the US, ( weither it was ever implemented i dont know, does any of our US members.)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Mossie

Quote from: Jacques Deguerre on June 05, 2011, 11:13:07 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 04, 2011, 11:49:26 PM
Tungsten, as used nowadays in Pinewood Derby cars.
Denser than lead and non-toxic.
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewood_derby_weight.htm#tungsten
That's a fantastic idea and the prices don't seem too bad either!
The tungsten putty listed in the link Jon posted looks especially intriguing.

You should be able to find tungsten putty at a fishing tackle shop.  It might be cheaper to buy it in it's powder form & mix it with your own putty, mix it half & half.  You can get the powder from golf suppliers, you might be able to find an industrial supplier that can deliver slightly larger quantites for cheaper overall.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Or you could use Liquid Gravity, of course:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DLBD-38&style=&strType=&Mcode=Deluxe Materials BD-38

Still need to use the right glue, mind. (Think the same company do one they recommend).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on June 05, 2011, 04:03:40 PM
Or you could use Liquid Gravity, of course:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DLBD-38&style=&strType=&Mcode=Deluxe Materials BD-38

Still need to use the right glue, mind. (Think the same company do one they recommend).

Interesting.  What is it?

Weaver

Don't know, but it says it's non-toxic, so presumably it isn't lead.

Hobby shop locall to work has it in, but the chances of me getting there at the moment are err, slight........... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

I've decided to get some tungsten putty.   I can get 30 grams from Middle Earth for $US9.  Which is twice as much as I can buy online in Oz from fishing shops and it comes with free shipping.   :thumbsup:

The Rat

I've always used white glue or putty. And a lot of fishing weights are now made of bismuth, I doubt it reacts the same way. In fact I would like to see lead weights banned.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

I think lead weights are banned in the UK.

AFAIK there was a campaign many years ago for that move and I'm pretty sure took place. Certainly current fishing weights have some sort of statement on the packets to that extent.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit