Holy Grail Kits

Started by GTX, June 03, 2011, 02:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Folks,

I'm sure we each have our Holy Grail Kit(s) - those kits that do exist, are extremely rare (or at least hard to acquire by yourself) and you absolutely must have.

For me, one was the Collect-aire McDonnell Douglas/General Dynamics A-12 Avenger II  - recently however, I managed to purchase a copy (still awaiting it to arrive).

Another I am still after is a Collect-aire Northrop YF-23.

What are yours (both acquired and still to be found)?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

deathjester

Well, so far, every single brand and scale of TSR2 has managed to evade me !!

kitnut617

An Airways Vacform 1/72 CL-44 Yukon is the one that has been most elusive for me, I got one of their Britannias and one of their VC-10s (both in 1/72 and took years to get hold of), but do you think I can find one of the CL-44s.

Mind you I did get a 1/72 Canadair CP-107 Argus a couple of years ago, one of only ten produced worldwide. Made by an outfit called Santos
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

raafif

several of the SF3D / MaK sci-fi kits and after-market conversions for them (have the Krote & Jerry).
Also the old Flash Gordon star-fighter and a soviet "Cosmos" hydrofoil ferry.
And, of course, kits of several whif aircraft from this site.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

The Big Gimper

My HG kits both 1/72 are the Sword N-9M Flying Wing and the MPM X-4 Bantam.

I have CP-107 Argus Envy thanks to Kitnut617.  ;)  Also on the wishlist is a Hasegawa XF5U-1 Flying Pancake/Flapjack
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

scooter

Got it:
The Lindberg 1/125th Fletcher-class DD.  Got one, in the process of Whiffing it, with the added probability of RC.  Found it in a little hobby shop in Gulfport MS, a few years ago.

Want it:
1/32d Scale (injection) F-106 Delta Dart and A-1 Skyraider
1/350th USS Enterprise (CVN-65) with extra parts and pieces for her various island superstructures and air wings.
1/125th Fletcher, for non-whiffery.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

For a lot of people, me included, it would be the Otaki 1/144th C-5 Galaxy. I made one over 35 years ago, and I'm so proud of it I can't bring myself to strip it down to do something different with it, so I would love another one. But depending on the story you hear the molds are either lost, destroyed, or at the bottom of the Pacific after a ship carrying them was sunk. Personally I blame the Illuminati.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on June 03, 2011, 05:53:04 PM
For a lot of people, me included, it would be the Otaki 1/144th C-5 Galaxy. I made one over 35 years ago, and I'm so proud of it I can't bring myself to strip it down to do something different with it, so I would love another one. But depending on the story you hear the molds are either lost, destroyed, or at the bottom of the Pacific after a ship carrying them was sunk. Personally I blame the Illuminati.

Agreed.  I built the Testor's re-issue 20 years ago, but it didn't survive the move from Iceland to Grand Forks...and I still wish I had picked up several more at the base hobby shop. :/
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

rallymodeller

Aurora AH-56 Cheyenne and CF-100 (it's a Mk. 3). That is all.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Brian da Basher

Here's my holy grail kits. I'm very lucky to have acquired one of each over the past year:

1/500 Maquette R-100 airship

1/520 AMT U.S.S. Akron/Macon airship

The only problem with just having one is trying to decide how to whiff it!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

anthonyp

Two kits:

1/144 Revell Shuttle Launch Complex (either with or without shuttle)
1/144 Otaki C-5/L-500 Galaxy

Both show up on eBay, but they're prohibitively expensive (other than once in a blue moon, and it's usually the auction I'm watching, but forget to go back to).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

The Rat

Quote from: anthonyp on June 03, 2011, 07:16:01 PM1/144 Otaki C-5/L-500 Galaxy

Yeah, forgot about their L-500 boxing. Had my eye on one when they first came out, never picked it up.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

philp

The Fine Molds 72nd scale Millenium Falcon. Never have the cash when this is available.

72nd scale Marauder and Warhammer (Battletech) to complete my Heavy Lance.  While there are kits available including a new Warhammer, they are not in my price range.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitbasher

Starfix 1/48 Spitfire 21.  Guaranteed to brighten up anyone's day.  Greatest comedy plastic kit ever!

Modelling Madness review says it all:
The Starfix Spitfire has a handful of parts that resembles a Spitfire. Unfortunately the version of the Spitfire is completely unidentifiable and although the box says it's 48th scale, the only thing that appears 48th scale are the exhausts. The tail appears to be closer to 72nd scale and the wings...? Well, my guess would be somewhere between 1/53rd and 1/62nd. That's just a guess, however. The model has a generous amount of raised rivets and the rivets on the wing are not even parallel to the centerline of the aircraft. The canopy is not very clear which is a good thing as there's not much of an interior. The model also comes with bomb racks and 2 shapes that appear to be bombs. The decals? The less said about them, the better.

Should be available on prescription as a cure for depression!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter