It's a Vulcan Jim but, not as we know it!!

Started by albeback, June 01, 2011, 05:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

IMG]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g362/albeback52/004-5.jpg[/IMG]

Well, I finally started!! The Avro Vulcan B3. The premise behind this machine was that , following the Falklands War in 1982, the RAF decided that (like the B-52) the long range strike capability of the Vulcan was simply too valuable an asset to lose. It's replacement, the Tornado GR1 just couldn't compete in terms of range/payload. Subsequently, the decision was taken for nos 9, 617 & 44 Squadrons to retain their Vulcans which, would be subject to a major ( and radical) upgrade to keep them current into the 21st Century. I wanted to achieve a radically different appearance while retaining the aesthetic qualities of Avro's finest ( Lancaster fans feel free to disagree with this description ;D!!)
I decided that a tandem cockpit was needed. By one of life's little ironies, the donor kit for the tandem cockpit was a Tornado GR1!
In the first photo, you can see I have faired into the forward fuselage in order to retain the shape. In the following shots, I have first test fitted & then glued the fuselage halves together. Something didn't look right!! :banghead:
It was the nose I decided. Raising the cockpit seemed to make the nose look too short & out of proportion!! Off it came!!  The new nose was the spare one "donated" by the TU-22  which I  used for another"WHIF" & which has already appeared on the forum. Now, the observant among you will have noticed that a certain appendage is missing! ;D.

Yes, that's right - the tail! In Al's Whifworld, single fins & rudders are SOOOOOOOO yesterday!! ;D. Now, my recollection of Vulcan's history was that one of the original design concepts was for a tailless delta with vertical fins/rudders on the wingtips? Perhaps someone can correct/confirm.

That's what I wanted but, not VERTICAL!! No - that looks DULL!! So, I modified the wings thus ( last 3 photos). I haven't glued the wings on yet - I just dry fitted them to give an impression of what the finished article will look like. I think canard foreplanes will be nice as well.

Anyway, that's the story so far! Hope you like it. As always, I am open to your comments, constructive criticism, questions & suggestions.
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

IanH

Quote from: Mossie on June 01, 2011, 05:45:57 AM
Barmy!  Liking it so far! :thumbsup:
Ditto Morocco Mole :thumbsup:

Pablo1965

:blink: Great idea and big proyect. :thumbsup:I like it :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:

Rheged

Quote from: Mossie on June 01, 2011, 05:45:57 AM
Barmy!  Liking it so far! :thumbsup:

Agreed!       It's a Vulcan, Jim, but as we should have known it!  It looks a very stealthy beast too.  Well Done
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

RotorheadTX

Methinks you'll get a lot of hate-mail from the purists.   ;)

Also makes me seriously reconsider the new Dragon 1/200th kit, and what could be done with/to it.  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

AFAIK you're correct about the tip fins on an early Vulcan proposal. I think that one also had the 4 circular intakes for the engines as well.

Your version looks LOADS better though.  :thumbsup: :cheers:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

The original design concept for what became the Vulcan was the AVRO 698 with wingtip fins but side by side seating for the crew.
Tony Butler's book British Secret Projects - Jet Bombers Since 1949 has a cover illustration of one powering into the sky as another taxies along in front of the viewer. BREATHTAKING! :wub:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Hobbes

Was the Tornado donor in the same scale as the Vulcan? The seats look out of scale to me...

Weaver

I think it looks bloody great!  :wub: :bow:

As for the purists: bomb 'em!  :wacko:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2011, 08:05:34 AM
AFAIK you're correct about the tip fins on an early Vulcan proposal. I think that one also had the 4 circular intakes for the engines as well.

Your version looks LOADS better though.  :thumbsup: :cheers:

Actually it had two circular intakes feeding vertically stacked engines near the centreline. The bomb(s) were in outboard bays....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Cobra

Super Cool & Well Done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cue the 'Thunderbirds March' and watch the 'Experts' drop their Shorts ;D Hope to see more Great Work like this :cheers: :cheers: Dan

jcf