A-129 Mangusta deployed in Libya

Started by Giovanni, May 29, 2011, 11:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Not only UK Apache and french Tiger, also Italian Mangusta will be deployed in Libya to help insurgent.
Here the new camo for this operation:

Ciao
Giovanni

Knightflyer

VERY NICE! ;D Does anyone know if the Apaches will get 'desert' camo ?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

pyro-manic

Don't think they can afford the paint these days! :banghead:

I'm not sure - the Tonkas and Typhoons haven't been repainted.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Knightflyer

I suppose the only arguement for the Apaches being camouflaged when the fast jet aren't is that the Apaches will be in closer contact with the enemy. Wasn't one of the concerns about sending Apaches the fact that there there is a lot of hardware out in Libya capable of bringing helicopters down, and it's only because of the political angle (ie the French and Italians are sending helicopters, so we must) that the Apaches are going

Weaver

There's a lot of hardware anywhere that can bring Apaches down: if it's hovering or flying slow and low then it's no more difficult a target than a fast tank and considerably softer to boot. A Zu-23 or any muppet with an RPG-7 has a chance if the gunship doesn't see him first, never mind SA-7s.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Knightflyer

I agree with the 'lots of hardware' comment, I think the point I was trying to make (I've been on holiday since!) was the concerns voiced by the military that the politicians 'over-ruled' France and Italy were sending helicopters, therefore we must?
Whatever the reason they are out there, and whatever the weapons the Libyans have, surely some disruptive camouflage, for operation in Libya AND/OR Afghanistan would be a good idea? Did any UK helicopters get camouflage of any type in the Gulf Wars?

kitnut617

Canada already did that ---  ;)

I've got a thread here somewhere, look for CH-151 Thunderbird
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Knightflyer

Very nice .... So when's the UK's equivalent going to appear?

I can imagine the real life conversation in Whitehall "I understand the AAC want some brown paint for their helicopters in that little thing going on in Libya. They say it'll make them less likely to be shot down'
"Well if we purchase some paint, where we going to get the money from?
"Well have we got another squadron / aircraft carrier / branch of the armed forces (delete as appropriate!) we can scrap early!

(sorry I'm getting cynical in my old age!)

kitnut617

Quote from: Knightflyer on June 03, 2011, 12:31:41 PM
Very nice .... So when's the UK's equivalent going to appear?

Now that's an idea, I've got a WAH-64 in the stash.  Mind you putting on all those 'stone' decals was enough to drive you batty,

Knightflyer

It is a masterpiece sir.....where do the 'stone' decals come from?

kitnut617

Well I created them myself but because my printer doesn't print white, I asked a decal manufacturer to print them for me, which he did.