Balsa ship-thing

Started by denodon, May 27, 2011, 07:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denodon

Hello all.

I guess this is my first post here of one of my own creations. I mostly just produce stock models of aircraft which I can provide pics of if desired but here is something I scratch built out of some spare balsa wood I found a while back that I can't recall the origin of. It's just some spaceship style thing made from boredom and making it up as I went along. I'm not really pleased of the result but I can't really complain as it just took a day or so to make.

I was going to give it markings but I couldn't decide so I ended up just leaving it white.
Oh and that black isn't paint but marker pen as I didn't think this would be worth wasting my small collection of paints on.

Brian da Basher

Welcome aboard, denodon! Few things impress me more than working in alternative materials and this balsa wonder is certainly somethng that makes me sit up and take notice. Nice work!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

denodon

Thank you.

I've always liked balsa as a modelling material as it is lightweight, fairly cheap and easy to shape for the most part. I actually made a PT boat of sorts a few years ago in the stuff which I intended to make remote control (using the motors, batteries and other systems from an RC plane of mine that was damaged beyond repair in a low-level stall). I have no idea what happened to that model though.

Hobbes

Very nice!

I've used balsa on occasion; it's nice to work with but difficult to integrate in a plastic model.

IanH

Don't knock it Denodon - it's a brilliant creation.

Taiidantomcat

superb! I love the fin!! Welcome aboard  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Alvis 3.14159

Neato keen! it's a cross between something Star Wars and something Buck Rogers.

Alvis pi