LKW Wolf, "Exec Extract"

Started by frank2056, May 25, 2011, 02:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I got the Revell 1/35 LKw Light GL Wolf at a Squadron Sale. It's a nice little kit -  fits well and doesn't need much work. I opened up the holes below the grill and in the wheels and separated the doors, but other than ta few extra details, it's OOB.

I decided to try a "digital" NATO tri-color camo on it. I'm not sure that it works; I think I'll have to make templates if I decide to try it again on another vehicle.

The model isn't quite finished; the weathering needs some evening out, I have to make/add some decals and the tires are too clean. I also have to add the antenna and decide if the soft top looks better than the convertible. In the pictures below, the convertible is missing the rollbar. Which looks best?

This is a vehicle for the "Executive Extraction Service" of a military contractor company. After this, I think the VIP figure is going on vacation to get a tan. He looks too pale.

With the soft top on. Yes, the door is crooked; I knocked it while putting the vehicle down:

Top view. The camo pattern on the hood doesn't look all that great:

Top view, convertible. The seat belts are made from Tamiya tape and laser cut aircraft belt details. I couldn't find seat belts in any of the reference photos for the military version, but that sounds dangerous:

Ground view. Somebody needs a tan!

Front, side:

I used War Pigs wash for some of the weathering. It's interesting stuff; just pigment in a soapy solution, you paint it on, left it dry and clean the excess off with a damp rag. You can build up the weathering easily. Some of the mud on the sides is (yet) unwashed pigment.

Thanks for looking!

Frank

deathjester

Very, very nice, and quite an unusual subject :thumbsup:

Brian da Basher

Nice one, Frank! I really like the subtlety of that digital camo. The way it's faded lends a more realistic look to my eye.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Planes, rocket and now jeeps. Is there anything you can't whiff?
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

ChernayaAkula

Cool build!  :thumbsup:

Is the contractor's head straight from the box?  :o

We could really use some injection-moulded, less military-looking 4WDs for dios like this. Not necessarily a Suburban or another battleship like that, but some modern LandCruiser or something similar. Something that "blends in". Could be useful for other dios as well.

Quote from: frank2056 on May 25, 2011, 02:56:53 PM
<...> After this, I think the VIP figure is going on vacation to get a tan. He looks too pale.
<...>

Maybe he's just scared sh!+less!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

frank2056

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 25, 2011, 05:13:50 PM

Hell no! The contractor and the VIP are from the awful Trumpeter PMC series. Both figures have been extensively modified and both have resin heads from Warriors. Here's my build/mod thread at Armorama. Basically, the Trumpeter PMC figures out of the box have non-human features and proportions. The weapons are great, though.

Quote from: ChernayaAkulaWe could really use some injection-moulded, less military-looking 4WDs for dios like this. Not necessarily a Suburban or another battleship like that, but some modern LandCruiser or something similar. Something that "blends in". Could be useful for other dios as well.

I hope Tamiya and Italeri re-release their 1/35 Land Rovers. I've been toying with the idea of making a 1/35 Land Rover 101 in Rhino and printing it out.

Thanks for all the comments so far! I just put on the two license plates. I passed on adding "Exec Extractions" or "XecX" on the side. This is a business that you don't want to advertise on the side of your vehicles!

Frank

sotoolslinger

Very nice work Frank. Most excellent figure mods :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: frank2056 on May 25, 2011, 07:03:43 PM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 25, 2011, 05:13:50 PM

Hell no! <...>

:lol: I thought as much. Recently got both sets and couldn't remember such a decent head in there.
You did a great job modifying those figures. Quite literally head and shoulders above the Trumpeter offerings. :lol:

Why didn't you post your thread here as well? The figure forum is woefully undernourished and could always use input. :thumbsup:

Quote from: frank2056 on May 25, 2011, 07:03:43 PM
I hope Tamiya and Italeri re-release their 1/35 Land Rovers. I've been toying with the idea of making a 1/35 Land Rover 101 in Rhino and printing it out.

Not that well versed in 3D computer programs, but Rhino is such a software, right? So you're thinking of constructing such a body on the computer and then having it printed out by someone like shapeways.com? That would be pretty darn cool! Would it be just the body to stick on a kit's chassis?
Hobby Boss is about to release a Defender 110 with a hard top, but it's only a three-door version again. A five-door version would be great. I don't know how many military users have the five-door version, but it would be great for all kinds of contractors, NGOs, civilians and whatnot for dioramas.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

frank2056

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 26, 2011, 08:52:11 AM
Not that well versed in 3D computer programs, but Rhino is such a software, right? So you're thinking of constructing such a body on the computer and then having it printed out by someone like shapeways.com? That would be pretty darn cool! Would it be just the body to stick on a kit's chassis?

Exactly. The advantage of making a Land Rover of some type is that Land Rover (thankfully) has a history of very basic vehicle bodies. If it's cheap enough (that would depend on the size & materials) I may add a chassis.

frank2056

I finished it, and decided to go with the roll bar convertible:

I scratched the tie down for the antenna. I need to tighten the knot.

Some "action" shots:

Shooting with a macro and in bright direct sunlight really brings out the flaws! One annoyance I discovered is that the mica particles used in many flat clears (like Testors Acryl clear and others) and in Tamiya weathering powders * sparkle * under just the right light. For a sec. I thought I had a Vampire Car from the Twilight movies...

Overall, this is a really nice kit. It's a little more expensive than you'd expect for the size, but there's a lot of plastic in the kit. Next time I see one on sale for under $15 (what I paid) I'll grab another. I wish Revell and Hobby Boss would stop making JUST the short wheel base version of dual use vehicles!

Thanks for all the comments!
Frank

IanH

Very nice - something away from the norm...
I believe that Italeri are releasing a PinkPanther LR in the future.

Brian da Basher

Looks like a million bucks, Frank! You've got a serious talent for land vehicles!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.