Texas Dancer (RoT tank 2)

Started by sotoolslinger, May 24, 2011, 06:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

It was obvious when it was issued that the CAT 1 (cannon, armored, tracked) Walker was too complex, too tall, and too slow. It was entirely designed to be a stop gap measure. The Republic immediately began designing a tank (CAT 2) based on the lessons learned in Africa and SE Asia. The Dance tank was a radical departure from most designs of 1939 being a front engine ,rear turret concept. The main gun was a massively uprated rifle based on the 4 inch howitzer projectiles from the Walker. While the gun used the same diameter rounds they were one piece instead of separate loading and the barrel was 30+ calibers long allowing the 20 to 24 pound projectiles to achive from 3200 to 3700 FPS. :wacko:

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

beowulf

im liking the direction that this is going  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

RotorheadTX

Freakin awesome Ron, just what I envisioned when you were describing it at the show.

Go man, Go!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

OOooh! I've thought about doing that so many times..... :thumbsup: :wub:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

sotoolslinger

The turret was designed to be relatively roomy while having a low sillouette and providing great crew protection.

While the name of the vehicle was Dance it was universally referred to as the Dancer or Texas dancer as she was equipped with a 700 horsepower turbocharged diesel ,double wide tracks and a very heavy duty suspension system

Thanks for all the nice comments :wub: Glad y'all like her :thumbsup: ;D
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

You, sir, are a True Texas Tank Whiffing Machine!

One incredible concept right after the other! How do you do it? Wheaties? Vitamins? Orgone accumulator?

Man I wish I had just 1/10th of your imagination!
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Thanks B :wub: Coming from you that is a true compliment :thumbsup: just you wait till I get to the Ontos/Hetzer and the 3 gun Joseph Stalin :wacko:
I amuse me.

Jacques Deguerre

Very cool but darn it, you beat me to the "bass-ackwards Sherman" idea! ;D

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this come together and I really like your idea for using the transmission to extend the turret bustle.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

sotoolslinger

Thanks bubba :wub: I had originally planned on just puttying in the Firefly bustle but I had to  ;) get 2 kits to build this baby and the transmission shape was just too cool looking not to use :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Jacques Deguerre on May 24, 2011, 02:42:20 PM
.....I really like your idea for using the transmission to extend the turret bustle.

As did I, he just beat me to the post. Absolutely inspired madness there, you're putting us all to shame.  :bow:

sotoolslinger

Thanks bubba :wub:
Here is the hull built up with scrap to save putty

I amuse me.

Taiidantomcat

Nice thinking -- Making a note of that trick  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

Thiel

Oh my, there's hardly anything left of the plastic kit.