Airbus Military/EADS A319 MPA

Started by Hobbes, May 19, 2011, 02:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Currently on my cutting board: a Revell A319. I've cut out the torpedo bay doors, filled in the windows and I'm building the torpedo bay incl. at least 3 torpedoes. Photos in a few days.

Edit:
This build is based on a real-world Airbus proposal for an MPA based on the A319.
Airbus have removed the A319 section from their website, which means some of the images in this thread are now missing. I'll try and replace them soon.

GTX

:thumbsup:

I assume you have reference material from the RW proposal?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

Sweet  :thumbsup: Anything with Torpedoes is like instant awesome
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Hobbes

I'm mainly going by the Airbus website. Given the differences between the images on that page, I'd say that Airbus has only done a feasibility study, no detailed design work. So I'll use the images as a guide and make up the details myself.

It's going to have NATO markings (if the custom decals I prepared ever get printed).

upnorth

I like it. I shall be watching with interest. :thumbsup:
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Gondor

What are you going to use as a base for your EADS A319 MPA so I know what to buy if I decide to build my own version as I like what is shown on the Airbus site you linked to.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Hobbes

The base is the Revell A319 in 1/144 scale.

Hobbes

Here are the fuselage halves, with the windows filled in, a large hole for an observation window drilled out and the torpedo bay doors removed. I've also prepared some plexiglass rod in a dome shape for the observation window.

The torpedo bay and two of the torpedos that will go in it. The Airbus website shows 8 torpedos that are stacked in two layers. The torpedo shapes are meant to represent a Mk-46 or Mk-54 torpedo (although I haven't been able to find complete photos of the Mk-54, the nose is always covered up).

PR19_Kit

Interesting that the weapons bay is where it is, I think the 737 Mil version (P-8?) has it in the same place too. I can't help thinking there'll be a serious CoG change when they drop something though. Is that mentioned anywhere in the specs?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

The location is a consequence of the aircraft construction, I guess. Any closer to the CoG and you'd be inside the wing box.

The website mentions that there are extra fuel tanks in the cargo area, maybe there's an arrangement to pump fuel aft when a weapon is released.

Brian da Basher

Nice mods, Hobbes. I also think you've got some pretty convincing torpedoes there too. Looks like you're off to a great start! That A319 kit is a lot of fun and ripe for whiffing.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on May 21, 2011, 10:15:46 AM
The location is a consequence of the aircraft construction, I guess. Any closer to the CoG and you'd be inside the wing box.

The website mentions that there are extra fuel tanks in the cargo area, maybe there's an arrangement to pump fuel aft when a weapon is released.

Also remember that the maritime patrol aircraft such as this are packed full of electronics which tends to change their CoGs from what is normal.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

This shows the internal arrangement:

I'd expect that the equipment is arranged to get the best possible CoG, so the default CoG wouldn't be too different from an airliner. It's just the weight change from dropping a torpedo that can cause problems.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on May 22, 2011, 01:25:47 AM
I'd expect that the equipment is arranged to get the best possible CoG, so the default CoG wouldn't be too different from an airliner. It's just the weight change from dropping a torpedo that can cause problems.

Exactly my point.

The thing still has to fly properly, computer operated controls or not, and no amount of placing of electronics will negate the need for the CoG to be somewhere withn the original design parameters. Otherwise they'd need to move the wing, redesign it or fit an over-large tailplane, none of which seems to have happened.

Pumping the fuel around would seem like a possible solution, especially as Airbus have experience in doing just that from the Concorde years.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How fast can that be done to accommodate the sudden C-of-G shift?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.