Whiffing with new engines and props

Started by The Big Gimper, May 19, 2011, 04:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

Folks:

Ref: Kitbashers Beaufighter TF.11 http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,31451.msg505237/topicseen.html#new

A general comment on whiffing and engines. One of the most often ways I like to whif (is whif a verb? How do you conjugate whif? He whiffed? She whiffed? They whiffed?) is with a new engine and prop.

Late 50's big piston, turbo props or contra-rotate etc are good examples of a whif. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a selection of turbo prop engines/nacelles/exhausts and blades to replace the stock power plant with some type modular engine/nacelle/prop?

I generally end up buying kits (ie an E-2C, Wyvern or Shackleton) just for those pieces. If you think about it, there are not that many turbo prop kits at a good price that can had.

Thoughts?

Thanks for listening
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

lenny100

i agree with were your coming from a nice selection of turbo prop nacelles etc would be a godsend, especially now i am trying to move to civil aviation and have a few ideas on short haul aircraft/ bushcraft, after seeing the discovery channels new series on the Alaskan pilots, and how they operate with 30+ year old aircraft, because there is nothing to replace them
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

The Big Gimper

Those are great examples.

I have seen many magnificent engine conversions on this forum but I for one do not have the vision nor the talent like some of the other members. I would like to build the YAT-28 Trojan, the Piper PA-48 Enforcer and many other airframe extension options based on turbo prop upgrades.

My wishful thinking is I go Hannants, click on add+view cart+go-to-checkout-pay, wait 2 weeks and bobs-your-turbo-prop-conversion.  ;)

Carl

Lots of stuff

kitnut617

Every now and then I watch 'Ice Pilots, NWT', it's about the day to day operations of an airline called Buffalo which is based in Yellowknife NWT.  They operate a fleet of DC-3's, DC-6's and C-46's but the tread that's happening to them is the shortage of Av-Gas to fuel these aircraft.  I was thinking the other day what they need to do is convert their aircarft to turbo-prop power and then got to thinking what could they use.

The DC-3 problem isn't a problem, there's the Basler BT-67 conversion already a thriving business, and they get a bonus of a fuselage extention to go with the engines (PT6's).

But the other two would present quite a problem --- or so I thought.  A recent episode has some of the crew going down to South America looking for a Canadair CL-215 water bomber and somewhere in the depths of the grey cells, a memory came up that these were powered by R-2800's, ----- and so do the DC-6 and C-46.

Canadair converted their CL-215 to turbo-prop to create the CL-415 and they used PW123's so a quick google on this engine revealed that they come in a variety of power settings, 1800 hp to 5000 hp.  But not only that, they're all available now.  Dash-8's use them too so there should be plenty on the market.  I can't see what the problems would be to convert the DC-6 and C-46 to the PW123 as it would seem that the engine doesn't weigh much less than the R-2800, if comparing the CL-215 and CL-415 has anything to do with it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

You can buy in 1/72 scale, the Basler conversion and the Dart Dakota conversion from Heritage Aviation.  They also do a C-130H engine set and Jennifer Wright (some will know her as desmojen on Britmodeller) did a repalcement C-130J engine set which is now done by The Aviation Workshop.

So there's four engines already --

EDIT: there's also the Cavalier Mustang conversion by Heritage Aviation too.    That's five engines.

Mossie

I would have thought you'd be able to get a Heller Transall cheaply to rob the Tynes, but it's dearer than the Revell kit, no-brainer that one!  It's possible cheaper kits turn up at model shows.

The Airfix Fokker Friendship goes for about a tenner, so not to bad to rob the Darts if you're using the rest for another project.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

Alternatively, you can scratch a turbo-prop engine by cutting the ends off an old drop tank and attaching a prop to the front.

I enjoy re-engining aircraft all the time. I especially like making jets props and vice-versa.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

More thoughts, the Airfix Rotodyne has a couple of Napier Elands, if you can find them.  The Tumpy Wyvern is good for an AS Python.

Similar to Bri's comments, I remember JCF mentioning that's actually pretty simple to make an early turboprop as many are simple cylinders.  Take a length of plastic tube, round it ad the ends, add any air scoops & fair it in with mucho putty.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Big Gimper

Quote from: Brian da Basher on May 19, 2011, 07:51:48 AM
Alternatively, you can scratch a turbo-prop engine by cutting the ends off an old drop tank and attaching a prop to the front.

I enjoy re-engining aircraft all the time. I especially like making jets props and vice-versa.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

So to your comment Brian, I am going to make a turbo prop B-26K by taking F-89J tip tanks (front 1") and adding Shackleton props.

Lots of stuff

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on May 19, 2011, 07:42:35 AM
I would have thought you'd be able to get a Heller Transall cheaply to rob the Tynes, but it's dearer than the Revell kit, no-brainer that one! 

I've got one of each Transall  in the stash and I've considered dropping the Heller one in rubber, although the Revell one is much better detailed.  There's also the Revell Atlantique to think about too.  Rugrats do a 1/72 Viscount which could be a source, Aircraft in Miniature does an Avro 748 and Magna does a Belfast and Argosy. All could be sources for engines. Hasegawa's P-3 Orion is another

rallymodeller

There's also the Hobbycraft Dash-8 for PW120s, complete with whole fairings for twin-engine installations.  Just the thing for modernizing those selfsame Transalls.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 19, 2011, 08:52:34 AM
Quote from: Mossie on May 19, 2011, 07:42:35 AM
I would have thought you'd be able to get a Heller Transall cheaply to rob the Tynes, but it's dearer than the Revell kit, no-brainer that one! 

I've got one of each Transall  in the stash and I've considered dropping the Heller one in rubber, although the Revell one is much better detailed.  There's also the Revell Atlantique to think about too.  Rugrats do a 1/72 Viscount which could be a source, Aircraft in Miniature does an Avro 748 and Magna does a Belfast and Argosy. All could be sources for engines. Hasegawa's P-3 Orion is another

Don't you mean, "Rugrats did a 1/72 Viscount....Aircraft in Miniature did an Avro 748"?

The Magna Belfast and Argosy go for what are IMO ridiculous prices on EvilBay and even new are very expensive.  :(

Mach 2 do a 1/72 Viscount which is still in production.

There are 1/72 Britannia and C-133s still in production by a mob who's name I've suddenly forgotten in the US but they are also very expensive.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Oh! look at that --- right on que     :angry: