Store Trek: Over 20 years ago....

Started by Alvis 3.14159, May 13, 2011, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

Back in the late 80s, I worked with a guy who was the most insane Trekkie I've ever met, in a good way. I made abunch of little ships and named them after the chain of camera stores we worked at, each ship being one of the stores. Some of them had things that were particular about that store, such as the manager being a twit or it was a small store, but overall, they were just tossed together from spares and sometimes batteries or small camera bits.

This is the "hero" ship, the USS Downtown (RCC-3011). It was based on the actual floorplan shape of the store as the bridge, and a bunch of bits as the rest of the ship. I went to far as to make a Technical manual and blueprints of the ships, and somewhere in my house, I've still got them...somewhere...

Alvis Pi

Alvis 3.14159

This is actually the very first ship I made, the USS Northwest. I used AA cells and AAA cells for the warp engines and pylons, a film container as the engineering hull, and a filter case as the main saucer, with small 625 and 400 cells as the bridge and phaser array. Guess what? It's not a good idea if you want it to last  a long time (which iwasn't at the time, it was most just for laughs you know). As you can see the AAAs are now bleeding out, so the poor NorthWest appears to have taken a few nasty hits (In reality, the store itself shut down years ago, so it's a case of crappy model reflecting reality?)

Alvis Pi

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

Wonderful ships and a great imagination

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

raafif

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on May 13, 2011, 08:39:43 AM
Back in the late 80s, I worked with a guy who was the most insane Trekkie I've ever met, in a good way.

Did he sing all the verses from the theme song of Gilligan's Island on national TV in Klingon (while dressed appropiately) like the guy I knew ??? ???

Neat starships  :thumbsup:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Hobbes

Nice collection, and an interesting use of found stuff.

I'd do something about the batteries though: the stuff that's now leaking out is toxic and leaves nasty stains.

NARSES2

Amazing thought processes leading to some amazing models - I bow to you sir  :bow:  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Alvis 3.14159

You've never seen my basement, it's nothing but nasty stains.

Oh wait, that sounds wrong...

Alvis Pi

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: Hobbes on May 14, 2011, 01:02:52 AM
Nice collection, and an interesting use of found stuff.

I'd do something about the batteries though: the stuff that's now leaking out is toxic and leaves nasty stains.

I've found that mailing my models overseas to appear in shows often makes them disappear completely. I might use that route to eliminate the leaky ship. :wacko:

Alvis Pi