Decal Camo

Started by sequoiaranger, May 11, 2011, 12:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I checked out this site that had some interesting camo "decals" (look on right side):

http://www.pacmodelscatalog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PCM&Category_Code=Shin

What I cannot ascertain from the illustrations is how the overall look is. That is, the single illustration "full page" decal package looks like a "checkerboard" of small (half-inch?), individual camo squares that do NOT blend in to each other on the edges, but merely repeat. Clicking on the decal sheet image links to a VERY SMALL soldier figure that has been "clothed" in the decal, but the pic does not blow up so that "we" can see how it really looks. The individual squares in the list are really cool camo colors and patterns, but if the "squares" produce a contiguous, repeating pattern, the "camo" would look rather odd, IMHO.

Does anyone have any experience with these, or other sites/pictures to refer to??

[edit--I looked at some webpages, and it also seems that the company might have gone out of business a couple years ago---there is nothing more recent than 2009 that I could find]

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Maverick

I haven't had experience with these, but I agree that the patterns seem to be unable to be blended into each other without major work.  Some of the patterns are hard to replicate on a 35th scale figure and a decal seems 'easier' although the joys of getting it to conform to clothing folds, etc, would test my patience.

It does seem odd that given the amount of sheets available that there isn't any DPM, Flecktarnung, East German 'Raindrop' or Aussie DPCU which is disappointing from a variety point of view.

Regards,

Mav

frank2056

Here's an Armorama article showing the decals in use. Some modern 1/35 scale military figures from Trumpeter also have a similar decal sheet.

sequoiaranger

The link didn't work for me, Frank. Could you paste it in the message instead?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Old Wombat

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 11, 2011, 08:12:32 PM
The link didn't work for me, Frank. Could you paste it in the message instead?

Same here... or perhaps check the address?

I checked & the link looked wrong, this works:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=97353
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

IanH

I'm a bit leery of this - what about Pockets?