AH-37 Lightweight Attack Helicopter

Started by Thiel, May 01, 2011, 04:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thiel

I got the idea for this build from something Weaver suggested in his Patchworld thread.
I'll butcher no less than three different kits to make it work.

The ancient Hasegawa A-37 will form the main body and wings.
The Italieri OH-6A Cayuse will supply the gun and assorted FFAR pods and some other bits.
The Italieri OH-58D Kiowa will supply its rotor and maybe some weaponry.
I have a US ATG weapons set on order, so it might end up supplying some kind of ATGM as well.

Lots and lots of sprue.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Something I said? Does that mean it's my fault?  ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Thiel

Quote from: ysi_maniac on May 01, 2011, 05:55:39 PM
Will you cook your model?  ;D
My apartment isn't exactly a study in spaciousness, so it was that or the floor.
Quote from: Weaver on May 01, 2011, 08:11:41 PM
Something I said? Does that mean it's my fault?  ;)
Entirely ;D

Army of One

I will be watching this as it sounds very interesting....... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Thiel

Quote from: Army of One on May 02, 2011, 03:15:07 AM
I will be watching this as it sounds very interesting....... :thumbsup:
Glad you like it.

Only one day to go before construction begins. I think I'll have to get some milliput, since the Revel putty I use now isn't all that great at plugging large gaps.

Thiel

Due to a tight schedule the build is progressing at a glacial pace.
I've done a little clean up and that's about it.

Supertom

Quote from: Thiel on May 04, 2011, 01:23:35 AM

Pictures or the box is still in the shrinkwrap!!!   :lol:
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Thiel

Quote from: Supertom on May 04, 2011, 11:28:03 AM
Quote from: Thiel on May 04, 2011, 01:23:35 AM

Pictures or the box is still in the shrinkwrap!!!   :lol:
Italieri kits doesn't come in shrinkwrap...
Anyway, I'll see about getting some pictures up tomorrow. I've glued some FFAR pods and mounted the bang seats.
This has got to be the most basic cockpit I've ever seen.

Thiel

And we have progress :party:

Rotor assembly coming together. Note the use of high-tech fasteners to keep annoying parts in place

The Hazegawa kit isn't noted for its high level of details. Note the lack of actual seats.

FFAR goodness

Cockpit wall being installed.

Since the rotor will be placed right aft of the cockpit I thought I'd a few greebles to show it.
The Fuselage gaped a bit in the front, though that's partly my own fault. Got a little overeager with the sanding.
Nothing a little putty won't solve.

The wings are coming on. The fit is less than perfect and will require quite a bit of PSR.

PSR!

Next job will be to fill in the landing gear bays and shortening the wings. I have yet to decided just how much I should shorten them though.

Stargazer

The kind of project I love. Can't wait to see this taking shape!

Thiel

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on May 10, 2011, 01:29:39 AM
The kind of project I love. Can't wait to see this taking shape!
Glad you like it.
I'm having a little trouble with the rotor though. I have to raise it a bit and so far none of my plastic card foldings have been successful.
I'd like to use the hump as a starting point and continue it forward to the canopy, I'm just not certain how I'm going to do it.
Any ideas? I'm eyeing the milliput, but I have little to no experience using it, and the Revell putty I'm using is totally unsuited for the purpose.

Army of One

How about some surgery on the top part of the OH-58......the engine housing above the cabin.....can that be grafted onto the A-37 fuselage...? Or the same part from the OH-6.......? The join could be smoothed with the putty......I think the contours of the OH-58 would suit the A-37 fuselage.......just my thoughts......keep at it..... :thumbsup:....I think the wings should be at least halved.........
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Thiel

My camera is on the fritz right now so I can't post any pictures, but I decided to sue milliput and ad a hump on the back to carry the rotor. I've also shortened the wings and the tail.

Thiel

I got my camera working again.

Milliput and revell putt galore. The tube is one of thos plastic tubes that comes with a paint brush

Stub wings and rotor

Somehow, the hump just looks right.
I'll definitely use that when I do the tilt rotor version.