2 Tone Paint Schemes using Insignia White

Started by Cobra, April 26, 2011, 08:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Being Inspired by a Profile i Requested From Mav, I'm Planning to do a 'World Air Force' SR-71! the Scheme is White with Grey Unsides, Would Insignia White be a Good Choice or Should i use Something Else? Could use your Input. this is Something that would be hard to Find with Google. Thanks for looking.Dan

Maverick

I'd suggest a gloss white for the scheme Dan.  Equally so, gloss grey to compliment it as it isn't a 'camouflage' per se, more a Hi Viz type scheme.

Regards,

Mav

Cobra

i bought some Gloss Navy Gray for the undersides, it's the Top i want to be Sure about. the Insignia White i have is Enamel, think that would Work? that's why i posted. Dan

Maverick

Provided it's a gloss enamel I'd say it would be fine Dan.  I've always had issues with large areas of flat white whether enamel or acrylic.

Regards,

Mav

Cobra

Thanks. I might buy some to be on the Safe Side, i Almost bought a Model Car Color called 'Classic White', it's a Gloss Enamel. Stay Cool. Dan

mchoo2005

For painting large areas, especially with white paint, you might get better result with using spray can. Just my 2cents....

scooter

Or an airbrush.  I'd also recommend priming a flat light grey, to prevent the black from coming through and give the gloss a better grab.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

mchoo2005

Well, as far as undercoat/prime colour goes, if looking for bright white, might be better to use silver undercoat/prime, rather than grey.