O

Up, Up and Away - The VTOL/Helicopter GB Inspiration thread.

Started by Overkiller, April 26, 2011, 01:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkiller

Mossie

A few from me:

Early Mil Mi-24 mock up:

Kaman K-140 Rotodyne analogue:

HS Helicrane proposals:

Mi-26 Flying Crane proposal:

Cierva Autogiro.  Autogiro's are unfashionable, maybe a modern version?

Dragon Warrior UAV

Eagle Eye UAV:

Rotodyne! :thumbsup:

Avpro Exint pod, ideal addition to a helicopter or V/STOL type:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Homer:

Dornier AVS

HS P.1214 X-Wing

Spectrum Cloudbase:

UNIT Valiant

McDD JAST proposal (think it would have been F-36?)

Bristol Jumping Jeep proposal:

Folland Jumping Jeep proposal:

Hawker P.1126

Curtiss Wright Air Car (more an air cushion vehice than VTOL, but just give it a bit more thrust)

Flying Saucer Bus:

Westland WG-33 'flying jeep'
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

And of course, let's not forget the Moller Skycar: available next year, or the year after that, or the year after that....

(I found a brochure for it circa 1983 while I was looking for something else: it hasn't changed much)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

dy031101

The titular jet fighter from "Raiden" arcade series can takeoff vertically via tilting main engines and liftjets.  ;D

A picture showing it can be found here.

I brought this up because I'm a fan of the series.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jcf

jcf

Gloster projetcs.

Transports.

Fighters.

Meatboxes.  ;D

Taiidantomcat

I know we have been having issues on the site with excessive pictures so I will post a couple links from elsewhere on the site, and you will have to trust that they are well worth the mouse clicks:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30133.0/highlight,helicopter.html

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24903.15.html

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

SNECMA Coleoptre:

Focke Wulf VTOL:

BAE 'Antigravity aircraft'

HS P.1141:

Skycat hybrid airship

Hafner Rotabuggy

Soviet convertiplane (anyone know what this is?)

Avpro Avenger UCAV

Avpro UCAV-1

Avro WS606

Avro Silverbug:

HS.681

Flapper Ornihopter.  This one wasn't capable of VTOL, but there's a lot of scope for Ornithopters

Groen Brothers gyrodyne, early version

Groen Brothers Monsoon

Thiel

Wow, the Avro Silverbug gives a new meaning to mid-air collision.

Mossie

Yeah, the idea behind the Silverbug was it's use as a high speed rammer.  It would have had a max speed of around mach 3.5 & would have had no offensive armament, just a hardened edge to the saucer.  I've never been comfortable with the idea of ramming aircraft, it's alright the designers & brass saying it's largely invulnerable, let them fly it at mach 3 into several hundred thousand pounds of nuke carrying metal!
:drink: :drink: :drink:

kitnut617

I'm not joining the GB (way to much work piled up) but here's one I was working on as an example.

Project's stalled though (my mind wandered off in another direction)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Thiel

kitnut617

They're 1/72 Harrier fuselages (without the cockpit) attached to a 1/72 Canberra, they're about the same length as the Canberra nacelles.

You can see the build to where's it at on this forum if you do a search for "STOVL Canberra"
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike