World of Tanks- Tank Action Kitbash

Started by dy031101, April 26, 2011, 08:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

I used to figure that I've already been playing two other MMO games and the third would be redundant......

Then I tried this game and slapped myself in the head.  Why in the name of science did I compare pure military hardwares with fantasy in the first place?

It's a game of tank v.s. tank battles, and it's fun.  Then the tank management phase is like a kitbash.  You start with a Leichttraktor, a T-18/MS-1, and a Cunningham T1; from there you'll go through many mass production and prototype tanks all the way into '46 territories.  The tank performance is not necessarily accurately-protrayed (for game balancing purpose?), but visually the game does the trick well enough.  Over the last couple of days I replaced all my starting tanks with these:

M2 Medium- with the turret of a M8 HMC!  After the modification it makes a surprisingly good fire support vehicle (for supporting other tanks- there's no infantry in the game).

Panzer III Ausf.A- this one is considered a light tank in the game.  It can take a KwK 38 50mm gun, making it reasonably dangerous to tanks up to M3 Medium (with side or rear shots recommended for dealing with the upper end of this spectrum).  Its status as my primary battle tank will soon be displaced with a late-model Panzer III (which will in turn be replaced until I reach one I consider fun to keep...... like a Tiger I or VK3001[P], the latter being as close as the game gets from a Porsche Tiger) though.

T-28.  It's portrayed ingame as a rather fast (for a medium; although maybe the T-29 variant with Christie suspension would have fitted that description better  :banghead:...... and I would have liked T-29 better, too), if a bit fragile tank.  Too bad I can't up-armour it like the Finnish did, but I can outfit it with a 85mm gun that gives me a fighting chance against a KV!  Overall I find it a good tank for flanking, provided I don't do it alone and there aren't too many hills to climb......

Yup, that's a Wespe behind me- nationalities play a factor only in tank management (you can only outfit your German-made tanks with German-made equipments and guns, for example)- the game freely mixed Panzer IVs and a KV together for the opposing team, too.

I'll get back to my commitment with the '46 GB soon......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dy031101

Now I had to pull all-nighters to progress since real-life and other stuff has taken up my day time activities......

Unfortunately, to get new tanks requires two things- ingame credits and ingame "experience" ("you have to use your current medium tank long enough to get a new medium tank" kind of thing).  It's the "experience" factor that proves annoying since all tanks were divided into 10 tiers, and it means I'm obligated to go through all tanks from Tier 3 and up......  :banghead:

As it turns out, late model Panzer III puts me frequently in battle against Tier 5 (that means long-gun Panzer IV and such) and better, which even the short-barrel 75mm struggles to match...... dang!

====================

To-do list here

arkon

i tried downloading that game and my computer crashed both times. i need a new computer :banghead:
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

dy031101

I play with Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz and 4GB RAM with little problem.

The only problem I had with the T-28 is the asthetics- I like beefy turrets and hoped that camouflage nets would help breaking up the turret silhouette of the tank...... it didn't work.  In fact it didn't display.  :banghead:

It did help me, however, remaining undetected as I fired 85mm AP shots into an enemy Sherman tank's glacis armour after sneaking up on it (it grants the tank -25% probability of being detected when stationary), so that 100000 credits didn't exactly go down the drain......

===================================================================

As part of the plan, the Panzer III is now replaced with Panzerkampfwagen III/IV Einheitsfahrgestell (simply called Panzer III/IV ingame); a pretty fast tank reputed to have an efficient armour scheme (in game terms, that means being able to bounce off shots more frequently; I found myself being matched rather often with the likes of Tigers and IS-3, unfortunately).  It started with salvages from early versions of Panzer IV for turret and main gun, but my tank is now equipped with those from the late model Panzer IV.

This is to be replaced with a VK 3001(P).  That M3 Lee in my inventory is my ticket to a M6 Heavy (which I consider a collector item).

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

They put the Type 59 in the premium tank range?

I wonder what else they'd put under that banner (they said a few others will be)...... although I would be royally-pissed if I should ever see the Dian Mian Cat in there, primarily because I've got a feeling that it'd be flying that friggin' red-star flag on the stats screen.

====================

To-do list here

Nick

So I'm not the only one to be addicted to this game, eh?  :thumbsup:

I've spread my bets and got 7 tanks right now including the Soviet KV, KV-3, T-34-85, T-46 and the US M2 Light, M4A3E8.
Now struggling to get up to the Pershing and Patton. Think I might cutback soon and concentrate on just 2 or 3 types. This has actually taught me about the way different tanks get used and my recognition skills have improved massively!

arkon

finnally got to play it last night..awsome!

dy031101

Quote from: Nick on October 11, 2011, 12:23:32 PM
I've spread my bets and got 7 tanks right now including the Soviet KV, KV-3, T-34-85, T-46 and the US M2 Light, M4A3E8.
Now struggling to get up to the Pershing and Patton.

I bite the bullet and purchased that premium tank.  I briefly considered the Löwe but was ultimately deterred by its heftier price tag.

I intend to collect the following tanks: T20 Medium (upgraded to 90mm gun), M6 Heavy (ditto), M46 Patton, T-34-85 (upgraded to 100mm gun) and/or T-43 (same upgrade), KV-1S with 122mm gun, T-44 (upgraded to 122mm gun) and/or IS-4 (upgraded to 130mm gun), T-54, VK 4502(P) Ausf.A, and E-75.

EDIT: I've finally seen a T-43 ingame...... and it doesn't look sufficiently different (I mistook it for the T-34M...... which isn't in).  Nevermind that, I'm getting a KV.

====================

To-do list here

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 13, 2011, 02:09:02 PM
Wot no British tanks?

A few of them appear as Lend-Lease types under the Russian faction.

Granted I do think that the British should have been a separate faction, considering even the French is planned for a future release.

There are claims that British and Japanese would be future factions as well......

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Thanks to rickshaw's steam tank thread, I found myself imagining this tank as one whenever I took it on a battle.

As much as I would like my current main gun to be a 90mm, I haven't got there, as EXP. requirement once again gets in the way.  :banghead:

Unfortunately, the very notion of owning a heavy tank started getting me into mismatches like this:

That's a tank on my team.  The opponents were led by a IS-7- trying to shoot it with a 76mm M1A2 didn't work out for me at all, especially when it was backed by another Pz.VII Löwe.  :banghead:

My subsequent efforts down the US heavy tank tech tree, other than getting this M6 fully-upgraded, is to prepare for the upcoming arrival of the T110 and M103 tanks in this game......

====================

To-do list here

Supertom

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

arkon

so far i got a hetzer(fully loaded) ,KV (basic) , t-18(basic), t-50 (just shy of t-50-2), and a t2 light tank.i play under arkon_kill . can i add you guys to my contacts?