Recent pictures from Iran

Started by GTX, April 21, 2011, 01:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Nick

Could these five Tomcats be the last ones flying in the world?

Great shots there Greg, where did you find them?

Spey_Phantom

nice  :thumbsup:
could it be the tomcats have been modified with other engines?, cause they look different to me  :unsure:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Fulcrum

Quote from: Nils on April 21, 2011, 11:40:31 PM
nice  :thumbsup:
could it be the tomcats have been modified with other engines?, cause they look different to me  :unsure:

Could be because the U.S. can't supply the old ones for obivious reasons, so maybe the Iranians re-engineered their Tomcats to have russian ones.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

ChernayaAkula

Don't know about new engines. These look like the old TF-30s to me.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

Wow....beauty shots ! Thanks Greg ! Love the one of the Phantoms and Tomcats on the ground.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 22, 2011, 11:23:29 AM
Are the Americans missing a trick here?  How hard is it to fit the GE F110 engine to an F-14A?  Or have the Iranians managed to reverse engineer the TF-30?

GTX

Quote from: Nick on April 21, 2011, 03:27:22 PM
Could these five Tomcats be the last ones flying in the world?

Great shots there Greg, where did you find them?

The shots are from the recent Rouz-e Artesh (Army Day) celebrations on the 18th April.  I would say that I was covertly there taking pictures...but alas I would be lying (found them on a Spanish Blog - this is all there was).

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: deathjester on April 22, 2011, 12:47:25 PM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 22, 2011, 11:23:29 AM
Are the Americans missing a trick here?  How hard is it to fit the GE F110 engine to an F-14A?  Or have the Iranians managed to reverse engineer the TF-30?

Look to be TF30s to me...though I do recall hearing something about Iran investigating re-engining the F-14s with AL-31s.  Though re-engining programs are not a simple matter so I doubt it.

As for reverse engineering the TF30, they wouldn't need to fully - just need enough to be able to maintain what they have.  Mind you, there is a  reason why Australia is required to properly dispose of all the F-111 TF30 parts...

Regards,

Greg

deathjester

Well, last I heard, only two aircraft were airworthy - now there are five.....?!?

GTX

I've heard all sort of rumours re the Iranian F-14s...I would be cautious believing any since all are likely to be tainted with one side or another's bias.

Regards,

Greg

rickshaw

So, how many F-14s did the Iranians get?   At least five are obviously flying.  There may be more which didn't participate in the flypast.   Wonder how well the electronics are working though?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Fulcrum

Quote from: rickshaw on April 22, 2011, 10:13:09 PM
So, how many F-14s did the Iranians get?   At least five are obviously flying.  There may be more which didn't participate in the flypast.   Wonder how well the electronics are working though?

79 F-14's were aquired(with 80 originally ordered- that sole embargoed aircraft joining the U.S.N.) with rumours of 20-30 still servicable(though it's unclear if all their parts are still in working order).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Army of One

F-Arba-Ashara....Yalla..! Yalla....!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: GTX on April 22, 2011, 02:30:07 PM
I've heard all sort of rumours re the Iranian F-14s...I would be cautious believing any since all are likely to be tainted with one side or another's bias.

hit it right on the head  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.