English Electric Sea-Lightning

Started by andrewj, April 14, 2011, 07:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

In the early 1960's, with their ageing Sea-Vixens needing replacement in order that the Royal Navy could cope with the growing threat from the ever expanding Soviet forces, the Lords of the Admiralty looked to the US with envious eyes. The preferred option was the McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom then coming into use on US Navy carriers, however, HM Treasury had different ideas, a shortage of foreign exchange meant a British solution had to be found. Enter then the English Electric company, with a proposal to modify the Lightning for naval use. The scheme as originally planned, {Sea Lightning F5 } used a T5 fuselage with a variable geometry wing, to reduce landing speeds, and modified undercarriage.
This proposal was rejected by the Admiralty, who still hoped for the F4, so EE went back to the drawing board and returned with a more ambitious proposal, tandem seating was provided as requested by the navy, a stronger under carriage more suited to carrier use and a fully variable wing ,as opposed to the original two-position wing, also more weapons pylons and upgraded avionics.
Faced with this aircraft and the treasuries refusal to finance any foreign purchase the Navy chiefs had no option but to buy the Lightning, one hundred aircraft were ordered in the initial batch and the first squadron to enter service was 899sqd on board HMS Ark Royal.

Model is to 1/48 scale and is a conversion of an old vacform Lightning F6.

NARSES2

Stunning, love the "bubble" second canopy, very British  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Supertom

Very cool!  Do the wings sweep?  How did you construct the wing gloves?
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

MiB

Incredible!! Awsome!! Beautiful!!! I love a lot!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Taiidantomcat

There must be a flaw on there somewhere! But I can't find it!!  :cheers: From a vac form?  :bow: :bow: Wow!! Second cockpit is great too BTW
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

andrewj

Thanks everyone, no the wings don't sweep, that's beyond my skills, I simply cut the wings, repositioned them and made a wrapper from plastic card for the gloves. Second cockpit is a Malcolm-hood from a Mustang heavily tinted with Tamiya smoke, shades of Sea Vixen coal-hole.

kitnut617

I like this too, especially how the undercarriage is arranged.  But for the life of me I can't figure out where the main gear fold away too  --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

deathjester

sletch

Hi,

Excellent work ! Far more pretty than the real one  :wub:

Well done  :thumbsup:

A bientot / Frederic
Last finished!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Army of One

Like this loads...!! Great work..great scheme .....love the rear cockpit... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

sideshowbob9

gofy

In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

nebnoswal

cheers
Ben of Oz