Rhodesian Combat Support Train- completed

Started by sandiego89, April 12, 2011, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

I'm in.  Took a few weeks to gather the parts.  

Rhodesian Combat Support Train. 1978. Used as a forward re-arming and supply point for Rhodesian Forces. 1/87 scale.  

I have flat cars to transport trucks and to serve as platforms for weapons and fighting platforms, a locomotive (to portray a English Electric DE3), tank car to refuel helicopters and trucks, passenger car to move troops, an Alouette III as a K-car armed helo, Unimogs, big guns, small guns, jerry cans, Land Rovers, sand bags, etc.  Will not be a full armored train, but will cover vital spaces against RPG attacks and have fighting positions for crew served weapons, an odd mortar or howitzer or two. Anything else? Can't find the attach pictures link in the additional options link now. Have things changed?  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

The attach pictures link has been disabled because the site is full. The only way to insert pics now is by putting them on a third-party hosting site like photobucket and then hotlinking them to here.

Re the train, how about an Eland (Panhard AML-90) armoured car on a flat bed? ACE do a model of one, although it's 1/72nd rather than 1/76th. I bet you could find a white metal or resin one in the wargames world in 1/76th.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

sandiego89

Sorry about the delay, had to crack the photobucket code.  So I have my unimogs, helos, guns etc.  Time to get going!
Dave "Sandiego89"

rallymodeller

Don't forget that it has to be narrow-gauge (3' 6"), and you might want to look at 3-axle trucks for the rail equipment as African railways have really light loading limits. Example: that Union Pacific FP9 is too heavy; when Montreal Locomotive Works (Alco) sold engines to Zimbabwe they had to add extra 2-wheel "pony trucks" to the engines to reduce axle loading, and that was for the lightweight "export" diesels.

Otherwise, awesome idea!

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

sandiego89

Thank you Jeremy.  I did notice the multiple axles on the DE3, but went with the FP9 as it was reasonabaly close in shape. Debating what to do with the wheel layout. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Taiidantomcat

I like where this is going ... you have to camouflage and armor that train  :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sandiego89

TT thanks, don't worry it will be cammo (green and tan) and will have firepower. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Work begins.  Chopped the locomotive down to give it lower look to represent the English Electric DE3.  Primer on.  Added additional trucks/wheels.  Added armor plate to cover engineers compartment.  Cut first gun hatch, more to follow. 

before:

Primer on and modifications begun:
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

Taiidantomcat

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sandiego89

Passenger car, taken off the Victoria Falls line.  

And with a fighting position and armor added.  

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Flat car, for vehicle transport and repairs.  Before.

And with a ramp added.  Drop top land rover.  Still more vehicle mods required.

Dave "Sandiego89"

Taiidantomcat

Army of One

OOh......I now have an interest in trains......this looks really great...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

sandiego89

Up next, a tank car to refuel trucks and helicopters.  Will need some plate to protect it from RPG's.  The flat car will be a weapons platform.  Scratch mortar tubes and the howitzer. 
Dave "Sandiego89"