O

Hawkers Private Venture: The Hawker P1121 Hurricane II - I fancy a bit of S&M...

Started by Overkiller, April 12, 2011, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkiller

Gondor

You have my attention Overkiller especially as I have one of the Whirlykits examples in my stash, just not sure that the forty five notes is worth it, but then is tackling a vac form worth the hassle?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Quote from: Overkiller on April 12, 2011, 02:40:11 PM

I must admit I have mixed feelings myself as to the value of the kit when you consider the price, though to be fair, the Xtradecal sheet is currently £5.62 from Hannants, so that adds to the price.

I did not realise that the decals were part of the deal.

Quote from: Overkiller on April 12, 2011, 02:40:11 PM

The whole vacform issue is entirely in the mind I'm sure, I keep telling myself that given what I have undertaken in the past with my scratchbuilds, I should be able to do a vacform...but that stubborn brain of mine keeps wimping out...I am determined to stamp out this fear  :tank: I WILL build a vacform...sometime...maybe after this and the Avro 730 scratchbuild thats due to start shortly.

Maybe we should start a self help group like there are for people that are quitting smoking or recovering alcoholics or something like that as an aid to getting over our fears of building vac formed kits or even conversions.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Overkiller on April 12, 2011, 01:53:57 PM
I shall be building this one as part of the PC SIG SMW theme, and it shall be an RAF bird as a result, I'm currently tempted by the 4 sqdn option in the kit decals, but that may well change ....

Yessss!  :thumbsup: My Dad's first Squadron, nice choice.

That sure is one IMPRESSIVE piece of resin moulding. I have the original Maintrack offering and it looks like S&M done some cleaning up on it from memory. We had one of each on the SIG stand, side by side, but it's difficult to compare in the fully painted state, specially when one's in a 'special markings' scheme.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Everytime I see piccies of a model, or the mockup, of the 1121 I just know it was a crying shame they never built it.  :banghead:

I have an imaginary vid in my head of a 2-ship of 1121s coming in low at a Waddington Show and their scoops almost sucking up the spotters on the A15 as they scream overhead!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Freightdog862

lancer

Damm that looks good!! I'll have to beg/steal/borrow the beer vouchers for a couple of them. I've built the whirlybird vac form one with the resin insets and thoroughlt enjoyed it. It makes for a really nice finished product.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

Quote from: Overkiller on April 12, 2011, 11:16:25 PM
Just for comparison purposes, here is a picture of the S&M resin fuselage next to the Maintrack/Whirlykit vacform fuselage.

The S&M fuselage is ever so slightly longer, and the underside of the forebody, where it leads into the intake, is flatter than the Maintrack offering, and also seems to lack the small fairing on the underside that is on the Maintrack version. Other than that everything else seems identical. I wouldn't say its a direct clone of the Maintrack vacform, but its certainly been influenced by it....

I don't have drawings to hand at the moment, I do have a set of the Barry Hygate drawings of the 1121...somewhere  :rolleyes: it would be interesting to drop the two kits over the plans.
Duncan
My friend Steve Gardner told me the Maintrack kit was done on info Barry Hygate provided, Steve also said the Maintrack kit is of the 'production' version though and the Hygate drawings are of the prototype.  Below is a copy of some of an email Steve sent me about it. I've got a couple of photos of the still existing fuselage that had been built and now stored at Cosford.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Maintrack kit is of the production version which has a few differences from the prototype, the jetpipe length, radome shape, brake chute housing shape, fin tip shape, deletion of ventral airbrake, intake blow in doors and wing dog-tooth extensions.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I know, I know!

But it looks so COOL!

And here's me using a word like 'cool' at age 68!!!  ;D

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Yes, a glorious machine.  Is the Maintrack kit still available anywhere?
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Quote from: kitbasher on April 17, 2011, 02:45:56 AM
Yes, a glorious machine.  Is the Maintrack kit still available anywhere?
;D ;D

Whirlykit produce it with some parts now in resin.

Gondor

Mossie

Pointy, very much the thing for S&M.  In that last pic it does look like something you'd get from Ann Summers....

Almost as much putty as kit, stick with it! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

There's nothing on kit. although I can think of a few SIG members with whole lot more putty.... :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on May 13, 2011, 04:08:20 AM
There's nothing on kit. although I can think of a few SIG members with whole lot more putty.... :party:

Who, me?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: Overkiller on May 20, 2011, 03:13:00 PM

This kit has continued to fight me all the way....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  :angry:

It would not be S & M is if didn't  ;D

Great work by the way.  :thumbsup:

Gondor