De Havilland Krait Mk IV

Started by tigercat, April 10, 2011, 11:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Me P1099b fuselage with Mosquito wings :)

Designed as a private venture for a fighter destined for the Pacific Theatre in the war against Japan. From an early stage it was also envisaged that the Krait could be adapted for naval use, operating from aircraft carriers. As a result priority was given to ease of control, especially at low speeds, and good pilot visibility. Construction was of mixed balsa/plywood similar to the Mosquito.

The Mark IV was a  Bomber destroyer/ ground attack aircraft variant. Armed with 4 20mm cannon  in the nose and a modified Mollins 57mm cannon. The Mark IV also had twin rear facing 40mm cannon and 2 20mm cannon barbettes in the rear fuselage. 

The Krait saw limited service with the RAF and FAA. It's powerful armament made it an ideal strike aircraft  for anti shipping strikes and disrupting attack waves of torpedo and dive bombers while its more conventional bretheren mixed with the fighters   

but where it came into its own was in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947. 3 Squadrons served with the Airforce of the Dominion of Pakistan where they roamed the skies over Kashmir disrupting the Indians efforts to airlift in men and supplies   into the disputed Territory

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

...more of this "Crate"! Looking good so far!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

tigercat

Old Wombat

I reckon she'd be a Real World nose-sitter with guns & ammo in but she ain't too shabby! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.