Main Menu

Piston to jet GB

Started by gofy, April 08, 2011, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gofy

Seeing as there have been various piston to jet builds (jet spitfires, P-47's, P-40s), how about this idea as a GB?
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

Taiidantomcat

sounds good to me!  :thumbsup: Folks have some very creative ideas on various ways to do that, and its always interesting  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

Ways to jetify a single piston engined fighter:

1. Hang the jet in a pod under the nose, so it's in approx. the same position as the piston engine (example: Yak-15).

2. Hang two jets under the wings in a similar longitudinal position to 1 (example = ?).

3. Fit a centrifugal jet in place of a radial engine with split or annular exhaust (example: proposed for the Fw-190 and Wyvern).

4. If the piston engine's behind the cockpit, just replace it with the jet and remove the prop (example: SAAB J-21R).

Any more?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

I would join in as ... "I have a cunning plan".....

Gondor

P.S. and it doesn't involve cabbage either.
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

How about reversing this one?  Jet to piston engine!   :mellow:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

gofy

If I had to come up with rules for the "alt. powerplant" GB...

1. Any aircraft can enter, as well as ships or possibly land vehicles (sail powered battleship, steamtank)
2. If the entry is an aircraft, then the oppisite powerplant should be attempted to be fitted ( if a jet, make it a prop)

3. It matters not if the vehicle is civillan or milatary

4. ?

5.?

6. NO RULE 6!!!!!!
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...