Another potentially ludicrous question

Started by Rheged, April 07, 2011, 06:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Assuming that all of the complete airframes in the museums of the UK were  miraculously found to be airworthy (it is what if after all)

A    What sort of air force would we have?

B     Would any of it still be viable as a fighting force? 

C    Which one would you most like to see in the air?

Let the riot of imagination commence.................

My own answer to  B is "Just imagine a pair of Buccaneers aviating through downtown Tripoli with  50 feet on the altimeter.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Quote from: Rheged on April 07, 2011, 06:47:06 AM
My own answer to  B is "Just imagine a pair of Buccaneers aviating through downtown Tripoli with  50 feet on the altimeter.

Why would they be flying so HIGH :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

The Brick Outhouse Altimeter is marked in 50 foot blocks. If you are airborne it can't show any lower.  Agreed, they would  actually be at 7 foot 3inches off the road surface.     

Years ago, in 1945, the Express cartoonist Giles did a lovely cartoon of mosquitoes flying  so low over Holland that mothers in traditional Dutch costume were shown leaning out of their windmills shouting to their children "Don't play in the street, you'll get run over!!"  It's in the original Giles cartoon book if anyone else has a copy.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on April 07, 2011, 07:29:46 AM
  Years ago, in 1945, the Express cartoonist Giles did a lovely cartoon of mosquitoes flying  so low over Holland that mothers in traditional Dutch costume were shown leaning out of their windmills shouting to their children "Don't play in the street, you'll get run over!!"  It's in the original Giles cartoon book if anyone else has a copy.

;D ;D

It's also in the collecion of his wartime cartoons that was published a couple of years ago  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

We'd have a fair V-Force!  According to Thunder & Lightnings, there's 1 Valiant, 5 Victors & 19 Vulcans preserved.  Since the B-52 still flies (albiet much modded) I guess you could call them viable!

With all the Hunters preserved (not to mention still flying) I'm sure you could fit out a small air force.  Supplemented with Gnats you've got some modest numbers.  Viable?  Only just...
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

deathjester

There's quite a few preserved Lightnings around, and a couple of large, white aircraft at Duxford, and Cosford....!

Rheged

Quote from: deathjester on April 07, 2011, 08:05:12 AM
There's quite a few preserved Lightnings around, and a couple of large, white aircraft at Duxford, and Cosford....!

I wondered how long it would be before the  elegant white aircraft at Cosford got a mention!

This link will perhaps startle you with the number of museum pieces  out there.

http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php

PR19_Kit

Cosford's Meteor PR19 would look great up there again...........  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 07, 2011, 01:28:47 PM

Cosford's Meteor PR19 would look great up there again...........  ;) ;D
Yes, someone should Photoshop a few pics of it.....that's bound to start the whole thing off again!!!

beowulf

im sure we would have a few harriers to hang on to for a flattop til it gets its proper aircraft  ;)

be plenty of jags and buccs too
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Mossie

Yeah, when the Jags retired they sold them off in two batches.  I think they numbered around 60-ish with plenty going to museums in the UK & a fair few abroad.

At the time I started a thread about who might operate an aircraft that was still quite potent, roughly related to this one I guess:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,15438.0/highlight,jaguar.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

beowulf

there was 2 jags sat at the far end of the runway at raf syerston near me for months and months and months til they vanished at the end of last year
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

tigercat

Didn't the Battle of Britain Film have the 35th largest air force in the world. which was around 100 aircraft so it wouldn't take too many aircraft to create a substantial force.

hmm let's see the Blackburn Beverly
SR 71 Blackbird

Squadrons of modifided concordes performing bombing missions

Mossie

There's just one Beverley left unfortunately, it's about two miles from where I live.

Mossie

There are a few museums in the UK & worldwide that could bring a significant air force on their own.  Duxford comes to mind having been there in recent years, it's even got it's own ground force for security.  It'd be a maintainance nightmare, but you've got aircraft for just about every role going.  The USAF hall on it's own could bring some serious hardware with a B-52 & SR-71.