Main Menu

SAAF Su-22R

Started by beowulf, April 07, 2011, 06:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

my contribution to the Africa GB
decided to incorporate it into my long running ATL project

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,28666.0.html

1978 and the Commonwealth Forces take delivery of a batch of the USSR's latest reconnaissance aircraft. A dozen Sukhoi Su-22R join the South African Air Force, operating from bases in the Belgian Congo they undertake missions into the occupied regions of Cameroon and French Congo. The Soviets are still happy to supply limited amounts of its military hardware for the Commonwealth to test under battlefield conditions, despite the 'special relationship' remaining cool since the mid 60's

Shown is one of the first to delivered, carrying the 'Bear Eye' photo recon pod on the port inner pylon

Kit is a slightly modded HobbyCraft Su 22U in 1/72...added little things like the chin/fuse radomes to change the profile a little and scratched the pod from bits of scrap......paint scheme didn't go according to plan.....I had found some lovely art work of some Rhodesian Hunters....brown overall with green camo on upper surfaces and thought I'd try copying it....when I took the masking off I realised I'd cocked up and there just wasn't enough green and too much brown............didn't fancy trying to add more green so thought the easy option was to add a third colour........matt black seemed better than a darker brown so went with that..........decals are from a South African after market company and I have no idea as to their age.....silvered a little
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

I like it, and the black turned out fine.  Perhaps an atoll missile a more logical fit?
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

beowulf

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 07, 2011, 06:30:36 PM
I like it, and the black turned out fine.  Perhaps an atoll missile a more logical fit?

thanks..............erm, the atoll was just a reversed engineered clone of the 'winder, you know  ;D.......and in my timeline it would happen the other way anyway........BritishAustralian AE would reverse engineer the Atoll, before letting Raytheon build it later on after the opening of trade with CATO.........................................the ones that came with the kit were awful, didnt look like much at all  ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Taiidantomcat

Very very cool. It looks the part  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

I have or had that kit hoping it would be a nice aircraft to build. I found out though that it has only a passing resemblance to the real thing, but then on here that doesn't matter at all  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....