Turning Big Planes into Little Planes

Started by Zombolt, March 31, 2011, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombolt

I was getting inspiration for my B-17, until I made a horrifying discovery... My Table is too small for a 1/48 scale Bomber D:

I Did not know what to do, then I remembered that I'm part of a group that dose major Model Reforming All the time! So Like my other post, I have a request for help, and a General Conversation Point.

1) HELP! My B-17 is Huge, How do I make it lose a few pounds while Wiffering?

2) What do you all think of a Medium or light Planes made of parts of Large Planes?

deathjester

Let the larger table buying commence!!

Zombolt

pyro-manic

Scale-bash it to a 1:32 fighter? Reduce the wingspan by making it a tandem-wing or biplane? HP-42-style staggered engines, open cockpit, trousered u/c etc?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

You cold make an egg plane out of it: shorten the fuselage and wings.

Zombolt

Quote from: Hobbes on April 01, 2011, 12:43:46 AM
You cold make an egg plane out of it: shorten the fuselage and wings.
Egg Plane? a what? :unsure:

Hobbes

An egg plane is a caricature of an aircraft, where the aircraft is shaped like an egg, all out of proportion. Hasegawa has a series of egg plane kits.

Here is one done by our member 'the Rat':

Here are more examples: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal9/8901-9000/gal8971-Eggplane-Choy/00.shtm

You could do one yourself by reducing the fuselage length as much as possible, and reducing the wingspan until they are barely long enough to fit the engines.

deathjester

How about a carrier capable B-17?  Then it can have folding wings....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: deathjester on April 04, 2011, 11:00:07 AM
How about a carrier capable B-17?  Then it can have folding wings....

.....and operate from the Habbakuk.......  &lt;_&lt;
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

Google the Douglas B-23 Dragon---it looks to me like a dwarf, twin-engined B-17 (apophenia's illustration is RIGHT ON!). You might be able to cut down the Boeing B-17 to make an "improved" version of the Dragon using just the outer engines, and maybe reduced-size horizontal stabilizers from some other kit.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!