Show us your D-Day planes

Started by nev, June 04, 2004, 12:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

In anticipation of the big anniversary, heres a Hellcat Mk I of 800 squadron Fleet Air Arm.  I know Tom is running the D-Day group build on ARC, but I figured we could have our own mini D-Day show and tell

Anyone else got any they'd like to share?

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Here's a B-26......1/144th scale, Minicraft ?

Built waaay back when, and just liberated from the 'old timers' box for Nev.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

And here's a Spit from the same box...modified by me with that thing under the nose for the stuff...Matchbox, 72nd scale, I think
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

And here's my last D-Day striper.....

it's got RCAF roundels, as well as a pile of German kill markings.

Cool !

All these kits are at least 15 years old......
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Nice work, both of you!

For 15-year-old kits, those have held up very well, CC.

Nothing like genuine dust and grit over time to reproduce the weathered look, too!

:wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

WeeJimmy

A tribute night fighter mossie in D-Day stripes.   I love mossies :D

WeeJimmy

I told my wife this was an investment in our son's appreciation of history and not simply a cool toy for he and his daddy. ;)  

nev

I like that all black mossie in the stripes  :wub: I gotta try and build me one of dem!

And I like Todds B-26.  The B-26 anyway, but I like his "battle damaged" crash landed one :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Supertom

Oddly enough, that Spit VII was the only D-Day bird I've ever built.  I had a Typhoon in the works, but moving day came and disrupted everything.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Ollie

Good job on those D-Day birds guys!!

:cheers:  

nev

Heres Toms Spitfire Mk VII from over on ARC.  If you haven't already, go check it out, they have about 20 birds in D-Day stripes  :wub:

Craig

Very nice. It's true that nothing looks as much like weathering as actually ignoring the model over the years.
If I was able to use a digital camera I'd post a piccy of my D-day Typhoon and the Dakota with little paras leaping out. I showed it at the squadron on Friday and one of my cadets asked: "But Sergeant, didm't the paras get dropped behind the beaches?" A fair point, I conceded as he took exception at the base being a long empty beach complete with crashing waves and one man in civilian clothes standing with a radio. (Anyone see where this is going yet?)
It was actually built as the scene from "The Eagle Has Landed" when Michael Caine and his lads drop in on Norfolk to fetch Churchill, I just added D-Day stripes to the wings to make it dual purpose.

As things go, Sunday was my wing's model competition and we had a distinct D-Day theme. I just wish I'd been eligible to enter that one as it would have further upset the JMN who had a go at my friend's F-16, he took great offence at the fact that she'd built it in RAF markings and asked my why I allowed a senior NCO to set such a bad example to the cadets by wasting a perfectly good model like that. Just that question pissed me off greatly, the implication that a well built and detailed model that wasn't in 100% accurate markings was a waste. Unfortunately I couldn't say anything back to him (I'm just an A/Sgt so I'm not going to tell an AWO to go to hell) but my SWO did so that was worth seing.
Do not despair for Johnny head-in-air,
 He sleeps as sound as Johnny underground.
 Fetch no shroud for Johnny in-the-cloud,
 And keep your tears for him in later years.
 Better by far for Johnny-th-bright-star,
 To keep your head and see his children fed.

nev

BluAngl

those are lovely, the only thing I could say is on the pony, panel lines look too deep , perhaps manufacturers doing? or I'm just dumb, but everything looks great! :cheers:  

Martin H

heres one of mine

Grumman P-52A Hellcat

My parents are planning a trip to Normandy in late July so mum can finaly see the grave of the uncle she never knew, he died a week after D-day in an accident behind the lines, but was (as he should be) interred in the war graves cemeitry in bauauxe (crap spelling i know). turns out that im the only family member to have been anyware near his grave, i visited the cemitry on a school trip when I was 10 (I didnt know the guy exsisted then)

Peter you are not forgoten by your family....Rest in peace.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.