Airfix Valiant, who will be first with these?

Started by The Rat, March 30, 2011, 12:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

I really want to see someone do the prototype in bare metal, it's just too beautiful to not do:

And of course ditto for the B.2:

I hope I have the skills to tackle at least one of those.  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

rallymodeller

<stokes the fire>

Not my best work, but you get the idea.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

The Rat

Quote from: rallymodeller on March 30, 2011, 12:16:51 PM
<stokes the fire>

Yep, I'm sure that is on a lot of lists!  :thumbsup: But different markings, as cool as they are, aren't what I had in mind, Now, a B.2 with leafy roundels, YEAH BABY!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Wooksta!

I fully intend to do an RAAF one in camo (they wanted Vulcans but were offered Valiants based in Australia with RAF crews so it's not THAT far out) but a real RAF one is very likely, as is a tanker version in Hemp/LAG.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

pyro-manic

I might well do a recce version - ELINT/SIGINT lumpy-bumpy one, or one with big side-scanning radar arrays.

EDIT: Or a USAF night bomber - black with red serials etc. like the B-57s?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

I doubt I'll be able to afford one for the forseeable future... :rolleyes:

The prototype would need some interesting re-modelling of the air intakes.

An in-service B2 is a must! One of the great should-have-beens.....

How about a "B3": B2 with stand-off missiles. It couldn't take Blue Steel, but there were lots of other projects.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 30, 2011, 02:03:04 PM
It couldn't take Blue Steel, but there were lots of other projects.

And that's an adequate reason why we shouldn't build one??  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Maverick

For those interested, I've done a few Valiant profiles that can be found in my Photobucket pages.  USAF, RAF in various guises & RAAF same same.  If anyone want's something specific to see how it 'looks' before committing to plastic, let me know.

Regards,

Mav

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 30, 2011, 01:44:07 PM
I might well do a recce version - ELINT/SIGINT lumpy-bumpy one, or one with big side-scanning radar arrays.

EDIT: Or a USAF night bomber - black with red serials etc. like the B-57s?

any of these ideas seem ok to me.  :thumbsup:

perhaps for a USAF elint version some of the many EB/ERB-47 configurations could be adapted. it must be the right sort of timeframe.

Keeper of George the Cat.

kitnut617

I've got an Aircraft in Miniature vacuform of both the B.1 and B.2 in the stash to do.  I wonder if they'll get done now -----  :rolleyes:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2011, 03:31:57 PM

And that's an adequate reason why we shouldn't build one??  ;D

Not at all, it just means you get to scratch some interesting missiles as well as modify the airframe. Two Avro W140s on underwing pylons?  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on March 30, 2011, 02:03:04 PMIt couldn't take Blue Steel, but there were lots of other projects.

For what reason? I'm sure that we can come up with some suitable modifications!  :wacko:

TsrJoe

a TSR.2 tanker and an Aussie example in overall white are on my to do list  :cheers: (oops just noticed Lee's noted similar  :blink: my build rates so slow anyway, lol says he with sooo many started model projects!)

:tornado:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on March 31, 2011, 05:36:08 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2011, 03:31:57 PM

And that's an adequate reason why we shouldn't build one??  ;D

Not at all, it just means you get to scratch some interesting missiles as well as modify the airframe. Two Avro W140s on underwing pylons?  :wacko:

I've been thinking Special Blue Boar (Green Cheese's immediate predecessor), Valiant would have been slated to carry it.

Quote from: The Rat on March 31, 2011, 05:40:07 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 30, 2011, 02:03:04 PMIt couldn't take Blue Steel, but there were lots of other projects.

For what reason? I'm sure that we can come up with some suitable modifications!  :wacko:

There were a few reasons, the Valiant was decomissioned before Blue Steel entered service, there was a struggle to get it into the bomb bay without large changes IIRC & the powers that be deciding that two Blue Steel carriers were adequate.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on March 31, 2011, 09:16:50 AM
There were a few reasons, the Valiant was decomissioned before Blue Steel entered service, there was a struggle to get it into the bomb bay without large changes IIRC & the powers that be deciding that two Blue Steel carriers were adequate.

All true but they did test Blue Steel with Valiant - IIRC two airframes were used in the initial trials programme so the problems weren't insurmountable.  Anyway, this is What-if land....  :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.