How do you get in?

Started by McColm, March 29, 2011, 02:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hello,
Most modern day aircraft have their own steps, either in the forward fuselage or a ladder that slides out. Larger aircraft have a door and stairs stacked inside. Access to the cockpit can be via the nose wheel i.e. the Vulcan.
The Nimrod relied on steps used by civilian airliners and the F-117 had a ladder bought from a well know D.I.Y. store sprayed black.
Ladders for model kits can be purchased, and research on your subject will be needed.

I can't find any reference to how the crew got into the Lockheed P-2 Neptune.
Can you help?

The Rat

I just looked through a few hundred pics on Google and didn't find even one that showed crew access. Weird.  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Nick

There's a reason you can't see it from photos. The main access hatch is in the front wheel well.
To escape there was a second hatch in the floor a bit further back near the sonobuoy tubes. There were other emergency hatches, including each side just in front of the tail, look for the CUT HERE markings around the window.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Netherlands---Navy/Lockheed-SP-2H-Neptune/0907180/L/&sid=ef3ce90561755d25bd802d8a4feea805

The Rat

Quote from: Nick on March 29, 2011, 05:23:50 AMThe main access hatch is in the front wheel well.

Devious... :wacko: Must have been fun egressing in the event of a nosewheel collapse. I know that the top of the flight deck opened up on both sides, but there must have been some other means of escape for people further back.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

For some reason I always thought the early versions, with the flat topped canopy, had an arrangement like the A-26 Invader. On the A-26 the canopy roof hinged open on either side and the crew lowered themselves in from the top. I guess not in the Neptune's case then.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

rallymodeller

On the flat-top versions, the overhead part of the canopy was split along the centerline clamshell-style; On later bubble-top versions, the panes over each pilot seat pivoted forward from a front hinge. Crews actually used to use this to cool the cockpit while on the ground -- there is an intermediate setting for the lift mechanism that holds the canopies open about 6-8". There are some good pictures of it in the Squadron-Signal "Neptune: In Action" book.

<EDIT> Just looked through my PDF file library and I do not have that one, unfortunately. It is also worth mentioning, however, that the panel covering the former dorsal turret location on the P2V could be ejected/removed, as could the rear side windows.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rallymodeller on March 29, 2011, 08:07:48 AM
On the flat-top versions, the overhead part of the canopy was split along the centerline clamshell-style;

Yeeeeaaah! I knew I'd seen that somewhere before! Thanks for the confirmation.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit